2018 2-Stroke 250 Pro XS Skeg

Is there anyone that machines a skeg that I can get welded on my Pro XS? Knocked 70% of mine off on the Mississippi River this fall and need to get it replaced. I don’t want a bolt on, I’ve tried it and it doesn’t run the same. Lower unit is 100% good to go.

2. Member
    Nope. The only approved "repair" method for your situation is replacing the case or entire lower.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Yes there are guys all over that do it, or folks that make the blanks you can weld yourself. Just had mine replaced on a spare LU I carry for $300, and it looks great. Check in with your local reputable prop shop; they'll know...the two go hand in hand
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

4. Member
    replace housing is recommended , there are some repair shops around also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DON'T attempt repairing the skeg on a TM Gearcase, especially not where such a large area is damaged. Mercury does not offer a replacement skeg for that housing, and for good reason (SAFETY).

It's possible, BTW, that your gasket failure and your skeg are related.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    A extreme welder can do it, I tried it once and 6 months later it disappeared, now my present welder, I would be confident he could safely repair, few and far between. Has to get hot enough to get a great weld but not too hot, that requires a lot of experience
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No argument that it “can” be done.

It’s actually a case that it shouldn’t be done, as loss of the skeg (or a significant portion of it) will likely result in a sudden loss of control, with a significant risk to life, limb and property.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No argument that it “can” be done.

It’s actually a case that it shouldn’t be done, as loss of the skeg (or a significant portion of it) will likely result in a sudden loss of control, with a significant risk to life, limb and property.
    Would you happen to have a case for it in stock?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No- but it looks like Rhonda might be able to have you one relatively soon (provided the order is placed promptly... limited supply available in warehouses).

Keep in mind that the components must be inspected, and the gearcase completely re-shimmed during reassembly.