200 EFI - Starts once, then won't start

I have a Mercury/Mariner? 200 EFI , the serial number has been painted over and I can't find it anywhere else on the engine. I assume it's a late 1990s model.
    The motor starts up fine, though a bit smokey. I can go anywhere I want on the first run of the day. But then, it does not want to start again. It turns over and sound like it wants to start, but never actually does. If I wait until the next day, it will start again but only for the first run
    Recently, I've started lifting the motor after my run. Once I put it back down, it starts! As long as I lift the motor when I'm done, I can run multiple times
    At wot, I'm getting to about 5100 rpm at 58 mph with a 26 tempest on a TR-20. Occasionally an alarm will go off when I'm idling for what I assume is low water pressure since it happens when the water pressure gauge goes to about 0. I can negate this by hitting the gas if I notice the gauge dropping

Any ideas on issues? Compression and spark are good, however one cylinder is a bit more black/burnt on the spark plug than the rest

2. Member
    rectify low water psi problem at low rpm service w/p ,sounds like you have a manifold fuel leak or possible broken reed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also- check for welch plugs in the engine block (about 1" diameter, with serial number stamped into it). If not, at least a couple pictures of the powerhead (if it's a late 90's engine, very unlikely you have water pressure being monitored).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor