FUEL FILTER QUESTION

I recently purchased a 2014 Nitro Z9 with a 2014 Mercury Pro XS 250, serial # 2B092906. I noticed it has a remote fuel / water filter (as well as the OEM fuel filter of course). I’ve read that remote filters aren’t necessary and in fact can restrict proper rule flow. The remote filter looks like a standard Quicksilver filter 35-802893Q01. I’ve only had the boat out twice since buying it and it seems to run /idle fine (although I’ve yet to run it WOT any length of time). Should I be concerned about restricting the fuel flow? If I change the filter, should I go with a high flow filter as some have suggested in other threads? If so, what filter would you recommend? Thanks.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey6404 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2014 Nitro Z9 with a 2014 Mercury Pro XS 250, serial # 2B092906. I noticed it has a remote fuel / water filter (as well as the OEM fuel filter of course). I’ve read that remote filters aren’t necessary and in fact can restrict proper rule flow. The remote filter looks like a standard Quicksilver filter 35-802893Q01. I’ve only had the boat out twice since buying it and it seems to run /idle fine (although I’ve yet to run it WOT any length of time). Should I be concerned about restricting the fuel flow? If I change the filter, should I go with a high flow filter as some have suggested in other threads? If so, what filter would you recommend? Thanks.
    I would remove that in a heart beat but curious did this come from Bass Pro factory installed? That would be very strange. But if all the fuel lines are clean and unobstructed (ethanol hasn't tore up the inside of them), you should be fine but I would always prefer the shortest and cleanest unobstructed set up from gas tank to the pulse pump. Nevertheless, wait for Don. He has the knowledge.
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS

3. Member
    I’m the third owner of the boat. The guy I bought it from said he didn’t install it. Looks factory but I agree with you, odd if it came that way.

4. Member
    If you want to remove, no problem. The engine mounted filter is plenty adequate as long as the recommended annual maintenance is performed.

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    most likely didnt come that way, would remove it , under cowl filtering with warnning for moisture is enough
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +4 for removing the additional filter

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor