Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When I bought the Ranger I have now I asked if we could run to the lake for a quick test. The guy threw me the keys and said go ahead I’ve got too much on my plate to go with you. I told him that if it passed the test drive I then needed to take it to my mechanic to check it out. The guy told me just to keep it until I made up my mind. I had it in my possession for right at a week before I bought it. The strangest thing is he wanted cash. Said he was afraid of a hot check. This very boat had both heads leaking water. It only showed up after it was run for 5-6 mins on muffs with the cowl off. That alone saved me $1k when negotiating the price of the boat. I would never buy used without a good long test drive.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooboocoo View Post
    Because of health issues I'm going to have to sell my beloved Ranger this year. I am unable to offer a test drive, and I hate to pay for a consignment sale at a dealer. I'm not going to let a stranger drive off with my boat to a lake or a mechanic. Do I have any other options? Thanks
    Sold mine for health reason also. Posted the boat, guy walked in and I took off the cover. He looked it over and said I'll be back with the money tomorrow. Never even asked to fire it up. He called the next morning and said Im on my way. Just post it, they want it they will buy it.

3. Member
    List it and sell it if you have to. I have yet to do anything special when selling boats, my last Ranger went to South Carolina in January and the buyer never saw it in person or heard it run until it was delivered to him. We talked openly, I sent additional pictures for any other questions he had. Boat before that the guy came and looked at it, said it looked like what I said it was and we made a deal.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Member
    I traveled 12 hours to buy a boat. Looked it over and it was fine. Went for a test drive and it broke on the water. Went home empty handed but did not buy a broke boat either. By the way it was a Ranger.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

At least go with them to the ramp and let them drive around a safe lake, free from possible bottom damage. I’ve done this before and watched them the whole time. There’s no way I’m letting a stranger take my boat out of my garage and not going with them.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

6. Member
    Price, product appearance and 'read' of seller can go a long ways.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

7. Member
    I'll give you a dollar for it now!

Sold my last one, which was a Ranger, without a lake test, did show the buyer maintenance records for the 8 years I owned it.

8. Member
    I sold a Pontoon and a bass boat by parking them over on Highway 129, no test drive and one sold in 1 1/2 hours and the other in an hour.

9. Member
    Upon my death, I told my wife to get it appraised first and then pay my fishing partner 10% of the proceeds to handle selling it. He is good at selling boats.

As for the bottom feeders, if they make a lowball offer, counter with a price higher than you are asking. Tell them this is "special pricing " just for them.

I sold a 22ft Pathfinder about 10 years ago and had to beg the guy to take it out with me before he gave me the money . He drove around for ten minutes and says I'll take . Funny thing is I delivered this boat to him at Lake Murray , I guess I trusted him also when he called and said he wanted it and had cash and would pay for delivery , so wife and I went and had a little vacation in Hilton Head .
    Also will add that boat prices are fixing to go way up , there are no unsold new boats and with this inflation it going to be bad .

11. Banned
    I’m gonna need a mechanic to look at it and do a compression check at the least. You can meet me there.

I have never had anyone test drive a boat I have sold.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12