Recessed tray for Ultrex in a 2008 H18

Was going to have a boat dealer/fitter install a recessed tray for my Ultrex trolling motor. They said the design of the older H18’s had the front storage compartments too close to the bow to fit the trays they had. I’m not opposed to cutting through the front braces under the deck. But curious if any one else has done this on an older H18. I may have to get a custom fab shop to cut and weld with a custom tray unless someone here has done it. And if so, what brand tray did you use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Bviator; 01-08-2022 at 01:12 PM.

2. Member
    I would be surprised if you couldn't make something work man. Installed this R&R Design Recessed trolling motor tray on our 2001 X19. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003DW11...8FZ75A2TZAKPTX cut the hole, added 1.5" aluminum angle with rivets underneath for added support. Then to mount the tray added 1/4" rivnuts so future access was easier. Well worth it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    I would be surprised if you couldn't make something work man. Installed this R&R Design Recessed trolling motor tray on our 2001 X19. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003DW11...8FZ75A2TZAKPTX cut the hole, added 1.5" aluminum angle with rivets underneath for added support. Then to mount the tray added 1/4" rivnuts so future access was easier. Well worth it.

Thanks for the input. Looking at that model tray, it says the cutout width is 10.5" wide and length is 17 3/4". That is the issue I am having with older H18. The two front compartment doors are 19" from the angled edge of the deck on the bow. Outside dimensions say its 12' wide by 19 3/8' long.

I am not thinking the Comfort Troll U4 will work either.

It's the angled edge on the bow that seem would interfere with the "lip" of the tray. I've tried to attach pictures. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (5.26 MB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (3.72 MB, 19 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (3.54 MB, 19 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (5.49 MB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (5.35 MB, 17 views)

4. Member
    Yeah, it would be squeezing it in there, but I thing you could cut the corner tabs off of the tray to give you about an inch more towards the bow. Maybe? Could possibly trim the other corners if they are too close to the compartment lids as well. Something like the picture I included below?
    Tray-cropped.jpg

5. Member
    [QUOTE=Smallie_Hawgin;12270826]Yeah, it would be squeezing it in there, but I thing you could cut the corner tabs off of the tray to give you about an inch more towards the bow. Maybe? Could possibly trim the other corners if they are too close to the compartment lids as well. Something like the picture I included below?
    Tray-cropped.jpg

That’s a good idea. I may need to cut off the corners of the lip. It would require being more precise with the hole cutout (clean) at the corners. And it will still be a real tight fit. I’m going to have to mark up a very precise template of some of the trays out there and lay it out on the deck before ordering one and especially making the cut. Yikes.