99 TR21 w/ 250 pro xs prop suggestions

Hi guys,

So it finally happened. my 99 225 opti finaly gave up the ghost, not that I didn't get plenty of time out of it. Anyway, I'm repowering to a '21 pro xs 250, and was curious if anyone was running one and what prop/pitch you were running.

With the 225, I was running a 10" JP with a 25p trophy plus at 1.75" below pad, and I had a best speed of 72mph loaded, with an average of 68mph. On the pro xs I'm being recommended a 24p fury from the dealer, and as I understand it that is just a base line prop for this motor and it sounds really low to me. With the setup being mostly the same out side of JP height, I feel like I should be in the 25-26p, maybe even 27p range with a fury on this motor. Unfortunately for me, there isn't a place near me that can let me test multiple props, so I really want to feel sure I'm getting enough prop before being stuck with a one I'll want to replace. I know my current trophy plus isn't going to be the optimal prop here and I would prefer to gain performance instead of losing it.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by RA92; 01-08-2022 at 08:49 AM.

2. Member
    I'm not sure what or how much difference there is between hulls of your 99 and my 07 21X HP, my 07 has a 10" jack plate and a 250 xs pro, I'm running a 26p fury. Your new 21 pro xs is a 4 stroke? I'm not sure how different it will apply the hp ( torque/ hp curve) in comparison to a 2 stroke. I've read the top speed thread over and over again, seems everyone is in a 25 or 26p fury or tempest plus. Mine runs 70 easy, and I haven't trimmed it all the way out yet. It's new to me and I'm still learning it.

If you buy and try a 26 fury or tempest plus and it doesn't perform to your liking, I'm sure you could sell it here. Mine was just worked "for the last time" according to my prop guy. I'm one mistake away from being in the market.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Are you re-powering with a 4 stroke? If so the gear ratio is different on the 4 strokes and you should be fine with the 24 Fury.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limit5bass View Post
    Are you re-powering with a 4 stroke? If so the gear ratio is different on the 4 strokes and you should be fine with the 24 Fury.
    I am repowering with a 4 stroke. but from what I can tell they are both 1.75 ratios. So unless there is some other gearing besides the LU gearing they should be exactly the same correct? Unless I am missing something.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXLTRP View Post
    I'm not sure what or how much difference there is between hulls of your 99 and my 07 21X HP, my 07 has a 10" jack plate and a 250 xs pro, I'm running a 26p fury. Your new 21 pro xs is a 4 stroke? I'm not sure how different it will apply the hp ( torque/ hp curve) in comparison to a 2 stroke. I've read the top speed thread over and over again, seems everyone is in a 25 or 26p fury or tempest plus. Mine runs 70 easy, and I haven't trimmed it all the way out yet. It's new to me and I'm still learning it.

If you buy and try a 26 fury or tempest plus and it doesn't perform to your liking, I'm sure you could sell it here. Mine was just worked "for the last time" according to my prop guy. I'm one mistake away from being in the market.
    I'm not entirely certain what all makes our hulls difference but I believe mine is 300lbs lighter and narrower. Whether that makes a huge change on propping I really wouldn't know. But I feel like you may be right on the 26. I may end up just having to buy the 24 and 26 and sell whichever is worse.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RA92 View Post
    I am repowering with a 4 stroke. but from what I can tell they are both 1.75 ratios. So unless there is some other gearing besides the LU gearing they should be exactly the same correct? Unless I am missing something.
    The new 4 stroke needs to run higher RPM, 6200 max vs 6000 I believe.

7. Member
    A 99 tr21 with a 4s 250. Is going to be a rocket. You set it up right and 80 mph would be about right.

8. Member
    Pretty Easy 80mph setup right….

Then He said to them, ?Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.? Matthew 4:19