Question Transom Crack Advice

I have a 1997 Cobra 201D that has had two cracks near the top of the transom. The one in the photos is on the starboard side, there is another one just like it on the port side but it is harder to see because there is a carbon monoxide warning sticker over it. I am thinking of repowering this boat with a new Mercury 250XS four stroke and am wondering if these two cracks indicate there could be issues with transom rot and maybe this boat isn't a good choice for repowering. The cracks have been there for a long time and don't seem to be getting worse. I don't notice any soft spots or weeping or discolored areas. Currently I have a two-stroke Mercury 200 EFI on the boat which is about 80lbs lighter than the new four stroke would be. I am curious what others think, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a similar crack on my 188. It's been there since I bought my boat in 2002 and has never gotten larger at all. I have no (knock on wood) transom issues. I'd still recommend having an expert have a look though.

Tom

3. Member
    I have a 2002 Cobra 201 DC with a 2003 Merc 225 EFI, and set up was bought in 2003. After looking at your pictures I got curious to check mine, but I do not see anything anywhere near that area or any other area where that cap is bound to the hull.
    Your boat being a 1997 could have been made a bit different, since I was told that my topcap is bound to the hull with wet fiberglass cloth and glassed together almost as one so it would be very solid to the hull. I am sure that there is other folks on here that may be able to explain construction in that model yr.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    I have a 2002 Cobra 201 DC with a 2003 Merc 225 EFI, and set up was bought in 2003. After looking at your pictures I got curious to check mine, but I do not see anything anywhere near that area or any other area where that cap is bound to the hull.
    Your boat being a 1997 could have been made a bit different, since I was told that my topcap is bound to the hull with wet fiberglass cloth and glassed together almost as one so it would be very solid to the hull. I am sure that there is other folks on here that may be able to explain construction in that model yr.
    My top cap is full of cracks and based on other threads on this forum I don't think the top cap is bound to the hull with wet fiberglass. Sure wish it was. However below the rub rail there are no cracks anywhere except for the two I described. Thanks for the input.
    TomM- I think mine have been there for a very long time too. I was planning on having my local dealer that does fiberglass work take a look at it but it is worth getting some opinions from BBC members. I am really on the fence about repowering.

5. Member
    I don't have any cracks on my top cap anywhere, and when she flies over some 4' wakes, she comes down solid. I don't know how much repowering is going to set you back, but I would put everything into proper prospective before shelling out a ton of cash into a 1997 set up, with all do respect.

6. Member
    I don't have any cracks on my top cap anywhere, and when she flies over some 4' wakes, she comes down solid. I don't know how much repowering is going to set you back, but I would put everything into proper prospective before shelling out a ton of cash into a 1997 set up, with all do respect.
    That sounds like good advice. After getting a quote for the price of a new boat in the "low 90's" as the dealer put it, I am not sure if buying anything during all this madness makes sense.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mac18 View Post
    That sounds like good advice. After getting a quote for the price of a new boat in the "low 90's" as the dealer put it, I am not sure if buying anything during all this madness makes sense.
    After getting that 'low 90's' boat, you will need that 'near 100K' new truck to pull it with, cause you wouldn't want your friends to see you pulling it with your old truck.

8. Member
    After getting that 'low 90's' boat, you will need that 'near 100K' new truck to pull it with, cause you wouldn't want your friends to see you pulling it with your old truck.
    Hahaha, you got that right. Its crazy for sure.

I was at the point of deciding whether to repower or buy newer. Fortunately a lightly used four year old boat became available at a great price right before things got nuts. I bought it in March of 2020, and then Covid hits and boat prices soared. If faced with the same decision today, it would be a tough one for sure. I think a lot of you are going to decide depends on the health of the transom

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx 201 View Post
    I was at the point of deciding whether to repower or buy newer. Fortunately a lightly used four year old boat became available at a great price right before things got nuts. I bought it in March of 2020, and then Covid hits and boat prices soared. If faced with the same decision today, it would be a tough one for sure. I think a lot of you are going to decide depends on the health of the transom
    TX201

I recall your rig, and it was a very well care beautiful Snake, Though I am sure you didn't make the move without the new one being as good or better. Due to health issues, my 2021 season was a total loss, but just making time to just start her up was good enough to keep me going,
    God only know what keeps us going in this game, especially the way things keep tripping us up, I pry that 2022 will be a little kinder to us all.

TX201

I recall your rig, and it was a very well care beautiful Snake, Though I am sure you didn't make the move without the new one being as good or better. Due to health issues, my 2021 season was a total loss, but just making time to just start her up was good enough to keep me going,
    God only know what keeps us going in this game, especially the way things keep tripping us up, I pry that 2022 will be a little kinder to us all.
    Thanks, I tried to take good care of her, ran across some pictures the other day and I still think it was a beautiful boat. The boat I got was very lightly used, basically a brand new 2016 Triton 21 Trx Elite. It is really pretty and I get compliments all the time, even the previous owner comments about how good looking it is, he would wipe it down after every trip, but never waxed it. She shines like a new penny! If Backlash will message me his email I’ll send him some pics to post, plus I have a big fish pic he will give me a hard time when he sees it. Haha!