Soft plastics ruled - again - this year

In the last 10 years of pouring my own plastic lures, I found a way to modify existing lures by cutting parts from two and melting them together with a flame. This year has been a year of discovering more hybrid shapes that have proven excellent for all fish species - even catfish and a large white sucker. The rest are right from the mold. examples:

French Fry stick segment / curl tail added:

French Fry segment added to thin tail:

Fin tail added to a worm segment:

Clear plastic stick or tails

Large white sucker on a Crappie Magnet hybrid:

2 grub bodies
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 01-07-2022 at 07:18 AM.

2. Member
    I like the clear baits,well done.
    Red Sox in 6!

3. Member
    Thanks Phil.
    Anyone can modify lures that are capable of catching anything that swims. Once I started copying Uncle Josh pork rind frogs from plaster molds I
    made and catching fish with them on skirted bass jigs, I couldn't stop going further with modifications and testing color ideas.

Plaster mold copy

The Arkie skirted jig (hand tied) with the above trailer is still my #1 bass lure. Why limit oneself to store bought lures when you can make something entirely unique that catch fish. It's truly the most satisfying feeling - other than catching the fish.

It always fun catching fish on what you make. I get a blast out of it all the time. My best is a musky on a plastic catfish I make.

5. Member
    I think all those fish said, in their little minds, "W T F is that? I think I'll eat it and find OUCH!!!"

The successful bait is first of all, that it got sold and someone stayed in business. The second most important thing is if the fisherman doesn't have confidence in a bait it doesn't get used. Looks like these are successful.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I think all those fish said, in their little minds, "W T F is that? I think I'll eat it and find OUCH!!!"

The second most important thing is if the fisherman doesn't have confidence in a bait it doesn't get used. Looks like these are successful.
    Both points convinced me years ago to think outside the box when crafting and using the type of lures created.
    Simple fact: fish simply react or they don't. I'll just let the pros give us reasons for the strike so they can sponsor lures.