Question Are trailer rims standard or do bolt patterns vary like on cars?

I have a 2005 single axle trailer boat trailer and I'm almost positive the tires on this guy are the original as it was barely towed until I owned it. Size is 175/80 D13. The spare has a ton of cracks in it so this year going to replace all 3 tires and I'm debating changing the bearings just for peace of mind. I was also thinking of getting new rims as these ones have a ton of rust spots and are looking a little rough. Do I have to be careful when shopping for trailer rims to make sure the bolt pattern matches like how they vary with car models or are the 5 bolt patterns all standard?

Can the hubs/bearings be visually inspected to see if they are wearing or need replacement soon by a competent mechanic that does trailer work or can they visually look fine and still go? My worst nightmare is a tire falling off on the highway on a single tandem and losing the boat or causing an accident

Thanks!
    Dan

2. Member
    What brand of boat/trailer?
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    What brand of boat/trailer?
    My boat is a 2005 Princecraft Pro Series 165SC and the trailer is a 2005 REMEQ single axle trailer. Rim size on the label is 13" x 4.50 JJ and tire size is ST175/80R13 B

Visually, my rims look exactly like these: https://recstuff.com/trailer-wheels/...r-wheel-ws305/

4. Member
    Most 5 lug trailers use a 4 1/2" bolt pattern. (not just boat trailers, but most 5 lug trailers) If it's 4 1/2 it will measure right at 2 5/8" from one stud to the one next to it.

5. Member
    Most likely a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, very common.

OK perfect, thanks guys! Looks like I'll be shopping for some new wheels :)

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    OK perfect, thanks guys! Looks like I'll be shopping for some new wheels :)
    Pay attention to offset. Boat trailers generally have zero offset rims. https://www.efxtires.com/blogs/news/...e-wheel-offset

To measure the bolt pattern https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/wheel-bolt-pattern
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

You also need to make sure the wheels have a "0" offset!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Pay attention to offset. Boat trailers generally have zero offset rims. https://www.efxtires.com/blogs/news/...e-wheel-offset

To measure the bolt pattern https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/wheel-bolt-pattern
    Excellent, thank you for the links, this is very helpful. As usual you guys are awesome :)

10. Member
    To check bearings jack up the trailer and spin the wheel by hand. There should be no noise. If there's any noise change the bearings.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex from GA View Post
    To check bearings jack up the trailer and spin the wheel by hand. There should be no noise. If there's any noise change the bearings.
    ...and races. Many purchase a spare hub assembly to carry in case of bearing failure. You really should do your own bearing maintenance at least once. Itis a good skill for a boater to have.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex from GA View Post
    I take it you’ve never worked on a trailer with brakes? There is always brake noise.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    ...and races. Many purchase a spare hub assembly to carry in case of bearing failure. You really should do your own bearing maintenance at least once. Itis a good skill for a boater to have.

Dual purpose, spare tire and hub

51Ruqfqnf8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg