Thread: New Models

New Models

Anyone know what the new dimensions are for Cougar FTD with either new Yamaha or Mercury with swing away tongue? Have a 18 Cougar FTD with old Merc and have a inch to spare when door closes. Afraid the new engines are going to be to big for garage. I know Yamaha did a redesign of sho and wondering if it shrank any. Thanks.

You can ask for the boat trailer to be shunk up a smidge on a new build. And possibly a slightly shorter jack plate.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

3. Member
    My 2020 Cougar FTD is 22’ 11 1/2” back of motor trimmed down to front of swing tongue. Mercury 250 4S with bob’s hydraulic jp. As far as I know, dimensions haven’t changed on the 2022’s. I just went out to the garage and dropped a level from the back of the motor and marked the floor then did the same on the swing tongue and measured the marks on the floor to give you the most accurate dimension. Hopefully this helps you out.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

The factory does drop back tongues to shorten trailers under the bow areas. With todays trolling motors you also may need the removable trolling motor plates, as the trolling motor extends out further than the bow area.

You also can go to the shorter 3” manual jack plates, or the hydraulic in a 4-5” variation and save length. This does not sacrifice performance and can improve some handling.

If anyone watched Ken Smith’s videos there is mention of shorter plates (Mercury) to improve performance. They confirmed our opinion that water is cleaner closer to the hull.

We also do a custom order narrow frame, which can drop the frame overall down to the width of the boat itself. Those may require a spring axle for clearances and availability reasons.

The last little known trailer mention is the Pivot Bow Stop, for areas where ramps are angled and trucks are level. The increased ball height changes the angle, while the ramp is relatively flatter. The issue flatter is that allows the bow to fall as the boat releases from the trailer and thus impacting trolling motors off the front, or spare tires with the bow eye. It also makes them difficult to load as the bow is too tall and it can require two people.

The Pivot Bow takes a little understanding though it is a great feature and locks the bow eye in place well, as it triangulates (two rollers) into the hull. This was made generally for Ross Barnett Reservoir where the flatter vehicle areas are common.

BCB

5. Member
    Can the pivot bow be added as a add on, as a feild install? With a few ramps i use it is a constant battle unloading(not unloading). In fact i have broken a few bow guards on my trolling motor. This pivot bow really interest me!
    Maybe Basscat will respond to this
    Last edited by Redngoo; 01-11-2022 at 04:54 AM.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The factory does drop back tongues to shorten trailers under the bow areas. With todays trolling motors you also may need the removable trolling motor plates, as the trolling motor extends out further than the bow area.

You also can go to the shorter 3” manual jack plates, or the hydraulic in a 4-5” variation and save length. This does not sacrifice performance and can improve some handling.

If anyone watched Ken Smith’s videos there is mention of shorter plates (Mercury) to improve performance. They confirmed our opinion that water is cleaner closer to the hull.

We also do a custom order narrow frame, which can drop the frame overall down to the width of the boat itself. Those may require a spring axle for clearances and availability reasons.

The last little known trailer mention is the Pivot Bow Stop, for areas where ramps are angled and trucks are level. The increased ball height changes the angle, while the ramp is relatively flatter. The issue flatter is that allows the bow to fall as the boat releases from the trailer and thus impacting trolling motors off the front, or spare tires with the bow eye. It also makes them difficult to load as the bow is too tall and it can require two people.

The Pivot Bow takes a little understanding though it is a great feature and locks the bow eye in place well, as it triangulates (two rollers) into the hull. This was made generally for Ross Barnett Reservoir where the flatter vehicle areas are common.

BCB
    First off thanks for the info.

1. May be dump question but is the drop back tongues the same as swing a away tongue? If not do you have pictures you could post?

2. On the hydraulic jack plate (4" to 5") as you state can you still mount power poles? Dealer told me you have to watch the size of jack plate to be able to mount poles.

Thanks.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    My 2020 Cougar FTD is 22’ 11 1/2” back of motor trimmed down to front of swing tongue. Mercury 250 4S with bob’s hydraulic jp. As far as I know, dimensions haven’t changed on the 2022’s. I just went out to the garage and dropped a level from the back of the motor and marked the floor then did the same on the swing tongue and measured the marks on the floor to give you the most accurate dimension. Hopefully this helps you out.
    Thanks Knuckle!

1. They are shrinking the main tube back under the bow and include a pivot tongue, compressing the trailer.

2. You can still mount poles in some applications. The 3” manual requires side mount brackets.

3. We do not have pictures of the pivot bow stop and we do only 1 or 2 a year. They would require the bow tube be replaced and rewelded and painted.

And also, if your dropping the nose on Alabama ramps then your top deep and your launch styles can eliminate damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar76 View Post
    First off thanks for the info.

1. May be dump question but is the drop back tongues the same as swing a away tongue? If not do you have pictures you could post?

2. On the hydraulic jack plate (4" to 5") as you state can you still mount power poles? Dealer told me you have to watch the size of jack plate to be able to mount poles.

Thanks.

9. Member
    1. They are shrinking the main tube back under the bow and include a pivot tongue, compressing the trailer.

2. You can still mount poles in some applications. The 3” manual requires side mount brackets.

3. We do not have pictures of the pivot bow stop and we do only 1 or 2 a year. They would require the bow tube be replaced and rewelded and painted.

And also, if your dropping the nose on Alabama ramps then your top deep and your launch styles can eliminate damage.
    So will BCB SELL THE PIVOT BOW ASSEMBLE AND A DIAGRAM WHERE TO MOUNT? I FOUND THIS PICTURE IS THIS THE ONE Bcb speaks of?Screenshot_20220110-183759_Chrome.jpg
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

10. Member
    I would cut and reweld in a heart beat! The aggravation is real!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

That is the pivot bow assembly.

we will have to verify on them Building the part for whichever model you have.

the pivot bow uses a pin stop and a strap or spring you provide for holding the pivot down while loading.

12. Member
    That is the pivot bow assembly.

we will have to verify on them Building the part for whichever model you have.

the pivot bow uses a pin stop and a strap or spring you provide for holding the pivot down while loading.
    Who would be the best point of contact at BCB to find out the needed information on the pivot bow build? Has Basscat every thought of doing a video on the advantage of the pivot bow stop and how it works
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Contact the Parts Department with your year and model, they will have to make a special request to sell the part. The angle will be likely a cardboard piece for placement, and the present bow eye/bow stop location will locate the top roller. This part has never been sold, though has been installed here for 1 or 2 customers. It will take them a little time to prep the parts.

They will set a special request and that is what you need to ask for.

14. Member
    Thank you BCB i will get in touch with parts today or tommorrow and see about getting this started
    Last edited by Redngoo; 01-12-2022 at 10:19 AM.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

15. Member
    Contacted BCB and ask for the part needed and ask for the special request. Guess we will see how it goes. Im sure all will go well!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    Contacted BCB and ask for the part needed and ask for the special request. Guess we will see how it goes. Im sure all will go well!

now (for fun) call rangers parts department and ask for the same help and see where it goes!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    That there is how it's done!
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

18. Member
    Anyone have a line to Ken Smith’s videos there is mention of shorter plates (Mercury) to improve performance?

The factory prefers shorter plates, the world is more adapt to longer ones.

BCB