Thread: Legend LE 186

Legend LE 186

Looking at buying a 2005 model, does anyone have any info?

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Here's what I know ... LE were the first Legends after Randy Qualls bought Hawk so figure they are rebranded Hawks. Hawk was a John Storie design modified from his work with Viper/Cobra, so a basic splash of one of the Ranger hulls. Pretty good riding boats. Run flatter than a Champ. Storie's non-compete when he sold Champion prevented him from building another deep V, but he used his pad and rear chine design on his subsequent boats. Corky has a 19' Alpha. Don't know how much difference there is between those, but he could probably give you a good idea on the boat.

You need to come up to Abilene and have lunch with me n WB ...

3. Member
    I owned a 2006 LE186 w/ 200hp Optimax. I bought it used in Sept of 2006 and sold it in January 2013. I'd still own it today if things didn't happen. It by far was the best boat I have ever owned. There are pros and cons to every boat, but that boat was just fun to fish out of, fun to drive, and could do everything I needed it to do. I'm not sure if I would have liked it as much if it had less HP, but I bet it would still be fun to drive. It would handle the rough like no other boat I have ever been in especially that size. It was a 18'6" boat, but didn't handle or ride like a boat that small. It fished like a bigger boat also. So other than the shorter front deck, the rear deck was the same size as it's two bigger bothers, the LE195 and LE21. I can go on and on, but I will say if you like a smaller boat, it by far will exceed your expectations. I know all these other guys might know more, but I know it was an awesome boat. I had may discussions with the higher ups at Legend back in the day, but the numbers don't lie. They didn't sell a ton of them because it was a small boat and everyone thinks bigger is better. I blew past may of the "fast" boats on take offs and also as the afternoon hit and the water got nasty. I hope this answers a few of your questions. If you want more info, contact me. I'll give you my .02cts worth
    Jonathan Graber
    Atlanta, IL

1995 Champion 204 DCX
    1999 Mercury 225 EFI

LE were great boats. Very similar to alphas, in fact i'm not sure there is much if any difference in the hull itself. an old partner of mine had the 186 and it was a great boat. The fit/finish became more refined over the years, but the the LEs were still a very high-quality rig and excellent quality compared to other boats from the same time-frame.

5. Member
    I've got an '07 LE 186 I've had since 2008. Handles great and jumps on plane! It runs in the low 70's which is plenty for a short boat. It impresses everyone that rides with me!
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

LE's were great boats Jerry.

I've never personally been in an 18'6 but never heard any bad things about them.
    George is on his 3rd Legend.
    I still say that his first one, that LE 211 was the best riding boat I've ever been in.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

7. Member
    I know you asked about the le186, but I have a 2005 LE 21, great riding boat, mine originally came with a 225, but I upgraded to a 2017 250 pro xs, boat will run high 70's with tournament load. I absolutely love it! IMG_20210329_132546.jpg

i did 82 in an LE21 once (GPS) with a 250 merc racing 2-stroke. it was the most fun i ever had in a boat.... well, most fun that didn't involve catching fish anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonFSHR View Post
    I know you asked about the le186, but I have a 2005 LE 21, great riding boat, mine originally came with a 225, but I upgraded to a 2017 250 pro xs, boat will run high 70's with tournament load. I absolutely love it! IMG_20210329_132546.jpg