Thread: Casting Rods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Casting Rods

I am going to update all my rods this winter. A friend gave me a micro guide Skeet Reese rod a while back. Those guides work a lot better with the Ranger boat rod tubes in the compartment. I need some recommendations from you guys about what I should purchase. I’ve looked at Boyd’s, what are some others?

step up to ALX rods

3. Member
    St Croix Victory series would be my choice followed by Fenwick and ALX.

if you can get Kistler on a great sale I’d jump on those. I would never pay full price for them but the sales are common.

not a fan of Ducketts quality control. Most of the rods are bent or have misaligned guides
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Impulse rods made in Texas. Affordable and well made rods.

It all depends on your budget per rod. The Daiwa Tatula TTU series are a lot of bang for your buck in that $150 ball park and have a lot of great rod options to cover most any technique. If your budget is higher or lower, there are other options too. The Tackle Trap is up in Boaz if you're ever up that way and want to check out some different options. Shoot me a PM if I can help.

Lots of good rods out there.
    I use Kistlers for bottom contact and Dobyns for moving baits.

The deal these days would Powell

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    It all depends on your budget per rod. The Daiwa Tatula TTU series are a lot of bang for your buck in that $150 ball park and have a lot of great rod options to cover most any technique. If your budget is higher or lower, there are other options too. The Tackle Trap is up in Boaz if you're ever up that way and want to check out some different options. Shoot me a PM if I can help.
    This would be my choice. I have about 10 and love them.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

8. Member
    I’ve decided to go with duckett’s this year matched up with lews reels. They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    This would be my choice. I have about 10 and love them.
    Have 5 of the Tatulas and they are a very good rod, and play above their price point.

I would love to stop by the Tackle Trap to look around!

10. Member
    If you specifically want micro guides the St. Croix Avid X series doesn’t break the bank and perform well.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    step up to ALX rods
    plus one

12. Member
    Take it from a rod repair guy. You will break more micro guides in the rod tubes than conventional guides. The two questions I ask guys that need guides replaced are: 1. Are they micros 2. Do you keep them in rod tubes without socks.
    A micro guide is just that. The wire part is smaller, thinner and weaker. They will break easier than a conventional guide. For some reason, I see this more with Ranger boat tubes than most other boats. Maybe because there are more Ranger boats. But it might be the lip on the tube or the distance from the opening of the tube. What happens is the guide is pounding the lip of the tube either in service or when being stowed.
    Invest in rod socks if you don't have them already. A big percentage of my work is converting rods from micros to conventional guides for various reasons.
    Hope this helps with your quest for new rods.
    Last edited by KennyVexus; 01-06-2022 at 08:21 AM.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    If you specifically want micro guides the St. Croix Avid X series doesn’t break the bank and perform well.
    St Croix stopped making the Avid X line of rods. They’ve been replaced by the Victory series.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Rod socks will help get rods in tubes.

As far as brands. Everyone likes something more. Use what you like not what someone tells you is best.

I use Dobyns.

I have used Duckett, Powell, Loomis, st croix.

Best thing you can do which alot of stores will let you do. Take your go to reel with you and have them sticker it that its yours and you brought it in. Then start putting it on rods and see how it feels to you.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    Take it from a rod repair guy. You will break more micro guides in the rod tubes than conventional guides. The two questions I ask guys that need guides replaced are: 1. Are they micros 2. Do you keep them in rod tubes without socks.
    A micro guide is just that. The wire part is smaller, thinner and weaker. They will break easier than a conventional guide. For some reason, I see this more with Ranger boat tubes than most other boats. Maybe because there are more Ranger boats. But it might be the lip on the tube or the distance from the opening of the tube. What happens is the guide is pounding the lip of the tube either in service or when being stowed.
    Invest in rod socks if you don't have them already. A big percentage of my work is converting rods from micros to conventional guides for various reasons.
    Hope this helps with your quest for new rods.
    Thanks Ken for replying, I hadn’t even thought about that. The rod socks are a pain, was hoping to find a way around them.

16. Member
    I think a rod with micro guides is an accident waiting to happen. I'd look at Dobyns and Cashion for rods , both are high quality in workmanship. Lots of brands , enjoy deciding on rods.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

17. Member
    step up to ALX rods
    +3

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcoach View Post
    Thanks Ken for replying, I hadn’t even thought about that. The rod socks are a pain, was hoping to find a way around them.
    Here is a rod sock tip. Buy the mesh style sock. When you pull a rod out of the tube, hold the sock in place so it stays in the tube. Then when you stow the rod again, just grab the sock and shove the rod in it and place the butt end where it belongs.
    Less hassle, more safe.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

19. Member
    step up to ALX rods
    +4

20. Member
    I am also a rod builder and repair guy that has just recently gotten back into building, I am also a long time user of micro guides because the brand and model of rods I liked only came with micro's......that said I totally agree with Ken the micros pop very easy and after years of using them myself now that I am building my own rods do not build rods for myself with micros because of this. Also if you use any bait with leader lines brad to floro the knots do not go through micros as smooth as standard guides.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast