Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Am I the only one still using mono line?

As stated other places I've not been fishing until recently for several decades. In the past I usually used Stren or Trilene. I know braided line us popular now so I got some when I dusted my old reels off. I don't like the way it feels or casts. I mainly use baitcasters. I've got a pair of Shimanos that I really like. I put 30 pound test braided on one, and 12 pound Trilene on the other. It may be in my head, but I cast the mono better, further, more accurate, and no backlashes. I've got a pretty good thumb, but still got a backlash every now and then with the braided. I thought maybe something was wrong with the reel I had the braided on, so I swapped spools with the other one. Same results. I simply like and perform better with the mono.

I'm going to continue using mono. I'm not looking for an argument, or trying to convince anyone else that "braided is bad". I'm just curious, does anyone else still prefer mono? I may try some Fluorocarbon at some time, but I'm comfortable, and happy using mono.

2. Member
    No sir. I do not like fluoro, so i am a braid and mono guy. Sometimes straight mono, straight braid or braid with mono
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    I tried all the best fluoro lines made... I just can't stand it. I am 100% mono or straight braid on all reels.

4. Member
    I use braid, fluorocarbon, and mono. I will usually have mono on one of my crankbait, jerkbait, spinnerbait and popper rods.

no
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    I mainly throw mono on all my cranks and jerkbaits.

7. Member
    You're not the only one LOL I prefer copolymer . It's a monofilament as well. Fluorocarbon is too hard to manage and I really see no significant advantage.

Braid is just not needed where I fish so I leave it out of the mix.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbigbaits View Post
    Same here

Still using Trilene XT on all my rods but I may start with braid again on the baitcasters. I tried braid when it first came out and wasn't impressed. Probably time to try it again.

10. Member
    Granted this is technically a "co-polymer" - PLine CXX has been in my rotation and used as braid to leader for over two decades...CXX 8, 10, 12, 17. It'll probably never go out of style with me. I also "dabble" with McCoy's Mean Green in 10lb when I want a cheap, limp, easy casting and dependable line for top waters/buzzbaits and minnow baits lures in the 1/4-3/8 range.

True mono, 15 Sunline Defier (it is overly expensive however) and Izorline XXX in lighter 6lb...most everything else in today's market is defined as a "co-poly".

11. Member
    Trilene XL mono on every reel thats 12 Lb or less.
    Floro and braid on casting rigs

Not alone at all. I use BPS Excel mono for moving baiting and braid/PLine leader for bottom contact. Never have found a fluoro that I liked (handling and breakages) and couldn't justify the cost. I did just pick up a spool of PLine fluoroclear to try on a crankbait road though. Not true fluoro as it's coated copolymer, but felt like broadening my horizons a bit.

13. Member
    big game works for me

14. Member
    Mono 100% of the time.....BPS Excel ever since they started selling it about 30 years ago.

15. Fishing is a Passion
    Trilene Big Game for all baitcasters, Original Stren for spinning rods with a mixture of Nanofil.

No braid or floro.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

16. Member
    I don't like the way braid sounds sawing through my rod guides. I will throw it on one baitcaster and on one spinning rod. I always have 6 to 8 rods on deck. Nothing beats the satisfaction of sawing a lilypad off when you have braid on and you want your lure back. Just be careful not to pull the guts out of your reel.

I'm enjoying RUNCL monofilament line it is sweet, strong and thin.

17. Member
    I use mono on moving baits and braid for most jig and plastic fishing. I tried the flurocarbon stuff twice and I was not impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbigbaits View Post
    For me, cranks, topwater, and spinner baits. I like Maxima Ultragreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley-Maine View Post
    big game works for me
    Same here.

20. Member
    I use a lot of it and will continue to do so.
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast