Looking for reliable rod builder. Any suggestions?

I break rods left and right. I’ve dealt with a couple of rod builders over the years that were great, but now they either don’t do it anymore, or they take your stuff and you never see it again. I’m looking for someone who knows what they are doing, and someone with a reasonable turnaround time. I’ve got two rods in a pvc tube ready to ship today, and plenty more that need work. I just need to find someone to send them to. Can you guys recommend anyone?
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

2. Member
    It sounds like you want someone to fix rods for you, not necessarily to build rods?

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    It sounds like you want someone to fix rods for you, not necessarily to build rods?
    Well yes immediately I need someone to repair my custom rods, but they won’t be my last new customs. Conveniently though, most rod builders also repair rods.

4. Member
    Where are you in Oklahoma? I can fix or build just about anything you want. Shipping gets a bit high though. I'm in the panhandle.

5. Member
    I'm retired from the trade and recommend Barry Weaver.
    https://dreamweaverrods.com

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Where are you in Oklahoma? I can fix or build just about anything you want. Shipping gets a bit high though. I'm in the panhandle.
    I’m in Cleo Springs. So I’m not far from the pan handle. If you’ve got an address, I’ll ship these out today.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I'm retired from the trade and recommend Barry Weaver.
    https://dreamweaverrods.com
    Thanks. I’ll check them out.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    I’m in Cleo Springs. So I’m not far from the pan handle. If you’ve got an address, I’ll ship these out today.
    Let's find a time to talk. PM sent.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Let's find a time to talk. PM sent.
    Thanks. I really appreciate it. ��

10. Member
    If you want a warranty, then go with a factory rod company like St Croix. Most custom builders don’t warranty the blank just the workmanship. I’m hesitant to suggest a builder as most won’t repair rods for free and if you’re breaking a lot, then it’s user error. Those won’t be replaced on their dime that’s for sure.

You’d be surprised how many folks build their own rods though. Off the top of my head there’s DVT rods, Conway rods, and witchdoctor rods.

or you could pick up the hobby yourself and save a ton of money. Only takes a couple hours to put together a rod. Can become cost effective too
    Last edited by ECobb91; 01-05-2022 at 01:43 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    If you want a warranty, then go with a factory rod company like St Croix. Most custom builders don’t warranty the blank just the workmanship. I’m hesitant to suggest a builder as most won’t repair rods for free and if you’re breaking a lot, then it’s user error. Those won’t be replaced on their dime that’s for sure.

You’d be surprised how many folks build their own rods though. Off the top of my head there’s DVT rods, Conway rods, and witchdoctor rods.

or you could pick up the hobby yourself and save a ton of money. Only takes a couple hours to put together a rod. Can become cost effective too
    I fish more than most. I average 80 days a year on the water. I don’t necessarily break them. I wear them out. Seats get loose, guides fall off, bait keepers loose their spring, and tips get shut in rod lockers. I really do need to get into rod building myself one day. These two rods that I want rebuilt, are 11 years old, and are missing a couple of guides each. They are fenix k2 blanks, that were custom built for me back then. They were my first two rods ever built, and I’m just wanting them brought back to their former glory. They were 500 a piece back then, and I’m still willing to spend money on them now. They are bait specific rods, and I catch a lot of fish with them. I’d really like to get them back on the water again.

12. Member
    Dobyns has a very good replacement program and they are near you, I highly recommend their products.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    I fish more than most. I average 80 days a year on the water. I don’t necessarily break them. I wear them out. Seats get loose, guides fall off, bait keepers loose their spring, and tips get shut in rod lockers. I really do need to get into rod building myself one day. These two rods that I want rebuilt, are 11 years old, and are missing a couple of guides each. They are fenix k2 blanks, that were custom built for me back then. They were my first two rods ever built, and I’m just wanting them brought back to their former glory. They were 500 a piece back then, and I’m still willing to spend money on them now. They are bait specific rods, and I catch a lot of fish with them. I’d really like to get them back on the water again.
    Guides are easy to replace and don't need a bunch of expensive stuff to do it. Same with replacing rod tips, and bait keepers.

I have changed styles of bait keepers on a lot of my rods. This is the wrapper I have to do those repairs.

https://mudhole.com/collections/hand...system-2-spool
    Fish have fins, they swim

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Guides are easy to replace and don't need a bunch of expensive stuff to do it. Same with replacing rod tips, and bait keepers.

I have changed styles of bait keepers on a lot of my rods. This is the wrapper I have to do those repairs.

https://mudhole.com/collections/hand...system-2-spool
    +1

I build but I am not "good" nor do I anticipate starting a business but I have replaced guides, tip tops, bait keepers and it is not hard at all.

If you are breaking things that often I highly recommend looking into how you treat your rods as that is abnormal. I use rod socks for everything in my rod locker and I do not step on rods laying on the deck or high stick fish. The only rods I have broken were 100% my fault due to stepping on them or accidentally falling on them (funny story actually). I have had tip inserts go out but replacing tips are the easiest thing to do on a rod, imo.

15. Member
    I've ordered the stuff from mudhole to start repairing my own rods. Thanks everyone.

16. Member
    Welcome to the abyss that is rod building! You’ll be hooked. You won’t save money on lower end builds, but once you start using higher components or blanks you’ll be surprised how good of a rod you can build for the same price as a mid level factory rod. best part about it is you don’t compromise. You get exactly what components you want, laid out how you want it. For reference, Rod Geeks is owned by St Croix. C2 are SCII, C4 are SCIV blanks. NFC are Loomis blanks (XRay is the most sensitive blank I’ve ever felt). Hydra Blanks are what ALX rods are built on.

As an example I built casting rod using an NFC XRay SJ736 rod, Fuji SiC guides and tip top, Fuji ECS reelseat for roughly $180. A similar rod using the same blank and guides goes for over $500.

I also built a trout rod using a RodGeeks C266ML, Fuji Alconite KR concept, VSS reel seat for $130. Similar rod would be a St Croix Premier 6’6 ML with much cheaper guides for $150.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 01-06-2022 at 12:06 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

17. Member
    There's a guy in Claremore named Larry that builds GREAT rods, give him a call, G Blanks rods, I have several, I think about 12

18. Member
    https://hawkeyecustomfishingrods.com/

I know this man personally. And his company is a board sponsor. (Team rainshadow) Builds top quality rods, as well as some friendlier on budget. Did a huge order for snap on tools last year, so if anyone has seen those you'd know the workmanship. He does repairs, and custom builds for however you want your rod to feel. (Insert jokes...) Check him out if you're still looking.

19. Member
    F5 custom rods out of Edmond Oklahoma builds good custom rods. Check him out on Facebook and Instagram.