92 faststrike powerpack possibly bad?

92 Johnson faststrike VJ150GLENC gave me a little trouble last season. It was foggy and I was only running about 35-40 up the river and all of a sudden it bucked twice and shut off line I pulled the kill switch out. Came to a stop and fired it right back up. Went to get on plane and as soon as it planned off it shut straight off again. It did this 3 more times. I let it sit for about 2 mins because the last time I tried to start it only spun over and never stated. After 2 mins it fired up and I idled 100 yards and went back on plane with it jerking/bucking twice but never shut off. I ran another mile to my first hole and fished the rest of the day without any problems. The last 3 times I went back out fishing it would jerk/bucks twice as it was coming out of the hole and then run fine the rest of the day. One morning I started it right up and idled over to the dock to pick up my partner, after idling away from the dock I shut it off and sat for about 10 mins. I went to start it back up and it only spun but didn’t start. I tilted the engine up some and then it fired right up. We went to take off after idling for a minute and it did the jerk/buck 2 times as coming out of the hole but ran fine the rest of the day. I can’t use a CDI power pack cause my wire wrapping is black and not the grey or blue wrapping. I’ll have to buy a OMC powerpack which for the 92 model is $372 and the 93 model is $272 ��. I’m a car mechanic of 22 years so I can’t diagnose it if it’s running right 98 percent of the time unless I can get it to fail and not start. Does this sound like my powerpack is starting to fail? Thanks for any reply’s.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You could use the CDI upgrade kit that comes with new plug wires and EET. $317. from www.marineengine.com they also have the blue sleeve OEM pack for $318.

3. Member
    It won’t burn up my stator. I called CDI and they said to check the ohms. I wrote it down but it something like if mine was 50 ohms that it wouldn’t work cause the black sleeve wasn’t compatible with the newer style stator on the 93’s are around 100 ohms or it’s vise a versa. I know your an expert for sure I just want to really make sure before I install something and it cost me more money. Thank you seahorse for your help sir.