New twist on baked potatoes

Tried this one out on Christmas day to go with the Prime Rib.

Baked 5 potatoes in the smoker
    Removed when done. Cut them in half and scooped this inside into a bowl. Added 1/4 cup of sour cream. 1//4 cup of cheese. 2 Tbls of bbq rub. Stirred
    Then smashed with a potato masher. Didn't mash them much, still had some chunks in it. Topped with bacon bits and green onions
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Tried this one out on Christmas day to go with the Prime Rib.

Baked 5 potatoes in the smoker
    Removed when done. Cut them in half and scooped this inside into a bowl. Added 1/4 cup of sour cream. 1//4 cup of cheese. 2 Tbls of bbq rub. Stirred
    Then smashed with a potato masher. Didn't mash them much, still had some chunks in it. Topped with bacon bits and green onions
    Did you then put back in the potato shells? Rebake for a short while?

Quote Originally Posted by Esox Z518C View Post
    Did you then put back in the potato shells? Rebake for a short while?
    No. It was like a cross between smashed and mashed
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

4. Member
    You are very creative and quite an innovator RB!
    No. It was like a cross between smashed and mashed

5. Member
    JB I spent about 5 years in Statesville back in the 90's ! Really liked the area. Wife and used to go to Carolina BBQ and Big Daddy's (Mooresville) all the time. Those places still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye1 View Post
    JB I spent about 5 years in Statesville back in the 90's ! Really liked the area. Wife and used to go to Carolina BBQ and Big Daddy's (Mooresville) all the time. Those places still around?
    Carolina is not. But another BBQ is there. Big Daddy's still going

7. Member
    Hmm. I feel the best part of the potato ended up in the trash. From what I've heard that's where the vitamins and minerals are. I sure enjoy the skins.

8. Member
    Carolina is not. But another BBQ is there. Big Daddy's still going
    I would imagine Big Daddy's being run by the grandkids by now. They had a great raw bar. The other thing I miss is the BBQ chicken leg quarters that the local church's did. There was a catering company that did them also " porta pit bbq" maybe???
    If you have a recipe for that style chicken you could share that would be awesome!!! Seemed like we would get it about once a month for lunch at work��

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye1 View Post
    I would imagine Big Daddy's being run by the grandkids by now. They had a great raw bar. The other thing I miss is the BBQ chicken leg quarters that the local church's did. There was a catering company that did them also " porta pit bbq" maybe???
    If you have a recipe for that style chicken you could share that would be awesome!!! Seemed like we would get it about once a month for lunch at work��
    It was Porta Pit. The chicken is placed in baskets that are on a rotating rack. Once the baskets go down and back they go into a vat of sauce, mostly vinegar and spices, and repeats until the chicken is done. You can do the same by just spraying your chicken every 10 minutes while it cooks with cider vinegar, apple juice and spice mixture

10. Member
    RB

Thanks!!! Will need to try that once it warms up!!