snaps, swivel snaps, clips

I'm going to be doing more Kayak fishing this upcoming season and because of this I only plan to take three rod/reel combos with me. One combo is going to be for shallow cranks, swim jigs, chatterbaits, and paddle tail swimbaits (either on a weighted EWG hook or on a jighead or underspin). I don't usually use snaps, swivel snaps, or quick connect clips, although I have tried the Norman speed clips in the past (didn't care for them). I'm looking for recommendations on something that will allow me to change baits quickly but won't negatively affect the action of the bait. Also, what size snap/clip are you using? I'm going to be using a 40 pound braid to a 4-6 foot 15 pound flouro leader on this setup.

2. Member
    I've used snaps on crankbaits and spinnerbaits for years with no problems. Buy real small, quality snaps or get some snap-swivels and take the snaps off as they have a more positive locking fit. On spinnerbaits, I put a small piece of plastic (some people use plastic tubing) cut like a mini cigar band over the loop in the R bend to keep the snap from sliding up the arm with the blades on it and make the plastic loop small enough that the snap just fits thru the exposed part of the eye of the R bend. -U- Draw that hyphen thru the U and the bottom is what I mean. I cut my keeper "cigar bands" from pieces of indoor telephone wire, the type that has a red, green, blk, and white wire in it; after I pull the wires out. That stuff is not affected by the UV like aquarium tubing and a 6" piece lasts a long time. Line tied in the R bends that slide up the arm when a fish is pulling on the hook arm is one of the main reasons you get breaks at the R bend. The plastic keepers also work well for trailer hooks.

3. Member
    I tried the Fastach clips for the same reason that you are thinking about. I quickly realized that you can tie a knot much easier and often faster than fooling around with clips, snaps and the like.

4. Member
    I use P-Line duo lock snaps or Nishine original snap (also a duo lock type snap) in size 0 on pretty much the same setup you describe. I use a skirt band on the R-bend of a spinnerbait as bill.s describes above.

5. Member
    I use these, I can change a crankbait in a jiffy, no leftover line on lures and at $5.00 for a hundred you can't complain:
    JL Sport 100 Pack Duo Lock Snaps

https://www.amazon.com/JL-Sport-Pack...8-1&th=1&psc=1

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    I tried the Fastach clips for the same reason that you are thinking about. I quickly realized that you can tie a knot much easier and often faster than fooling around with clips, snaps and the like.
    The OP said he would be using a braid to 4-6’ leader set up. Without a snap every time he changes a lure he loses 12-18” of his leader. So 2 or 3 lure changes and now he has to tie on a new leader. That can be a hassle in a kayak.

I like 20 and 30lb VMC Duolock snaps for lures in this range. They are easy to operate, seem true to rating and stay closed. I do remove the split ring on crankbaits when using these snaps.

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I absolutely agree with the quick connect type of clips (at least the speed clips I used), as it took me longer to change baits than it would have to cut off the bait and tie a new one on. I've used duo lock snaps in the past and know those are much easier to open and close, so maybe I'll go that direction. Thanks for the tip about closing the R bend on spinnerbaits, since I will also be throwing spinnerbaits on this particular setup.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1GThompson View Post
    The OP said he would be using a braid to 4-6’ leader set up. Without a snap every time he changes a lure he loses 12-18” of his leader. So 2 or 3 lure changes and now he has to tie on a new leader. That can be a hassle in a kayak.

I like 20 and 30lb VMC Duolock snaps for lures in this range. They are easy to operate, seem true to rating and stay closed. I do remove the split ring on crankbaits when using these snaps.
    That is precisely why I want to try using a snap of some kind. I really don't want to have to be tying a bunch of connection knots on the kayak and I also don't want a 20-30 foot leader.

9. Member
    I'm keen on snaps but on a safety pin type spinner I don't use one. If it has an eye, I would.

10. Member
    These are really easy to use and seem to hold their shape.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/SPRO...age-SPNSP.html
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 01-05-2022 at 01:04 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    These are really easy to use and seem to hold their shape.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/SPRO...age-SPNSP.html
    I bought the P-Line technical snap, which is almost the same thing, but unfortunately the size I got was much bigger than I thought it would be so I probably won't end up using it. I considered just ordering some in the smaller size but then I thought I'd ask what everyone is using to see if maybe something else would be better. I think I'll probably wind up just going with a duo lock snap.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    I've used snaps on crankbaits and spinnerbaits for years with no problems. Buy real small, quality snaps or get some snap-swivels and take the snaps off as they have a more positive locking fit. On spinnerbaits, I put a small piece of plastic (some people use plastic tubing) cut like a mini cigar band over the loop in the R bend to keep the snap from sliding up the arm with the blades on it and make the plastic loop small enough that the snap just fits thru the exposed part of the eye of the R bend. -U- Draw that hyphen thru the U and the bottom is what I mean. I cut my keeper "cigar bands" from pieces of indoor telephone wire, the type that has a red, green, blk, and white wire in it; after I pull the wires out. That stuff is not affected by the UV like aquarium tubing and a 6" piece lasts a long time. Line tied in the R bends that slide up the arm when a fish is pulling on the hook arm is one of the main reasons you get breaks at the R bend. The plastic keepers also work well for trailer hooks.

I'd rather the snap slide up on a spinnerbait occasionally, and gain never having it get "hitched" underneath because it tumbled inflight. So I prefer R-bend baits and snaps with nothing else. Different strokes I guess...

13. Member
    I like the owner weedless snaps. In the smallest size.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

I've never found any snaps that I was happy with, either due to their strength, or because I can tie a knot a lot quicker than I can fumble around with those things. Maybe I don't have as much dexterity as most or something.

My solution: Check out the Orvis knot for tying your lures. It's a super quick, strong knot that you can tie only losing maybe 2-3 inches of leader.

You might look at it and think I'm nuts...I hesitated to bring it up because anyone who hasn't used it is likely to think I'm a hack for suggesting it...but I tie that knot for a LOT of stuff and have no more breakoffs than I did tying much more involved knots. I honestly think I have fewer breakoffs with it which I attribute to its simplicity, both in making the knot easy to get right, and easy to avoid burning when cinching down.

Realistically, anything where I'm not using straight braid, tying a loop knot, or where I'm tying anything aside from a plain hook (where a Palomar is "easy") gets the Orvis knot. Hell, I tie it on a lot of plain hooks that aren't on a drop shot too. Another added bonus is the tag faces toward the hook when it "clicks" into place which helps keep it weedless and serve as an indicator that it's seated properly.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Take a look at Norman Speed Clips. They’ve been a staple in my tacklebox for years. Come in two sizes. The standard size works well with crankbaits, topwaters, anything with a spilt ring on front. No more tying loop knots on topwaters. You can remove the split ring, or snap right to it. I rarely remove them.
    The Magnum size is great for hollow body frogs and other baits fished in heavy cover on heavy line.
    They come through weeds and grass better than any other clip I’ve tried.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Norm...age-NMSPD.html
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

16. Member
    Norman clips…….a decade of fishing cranks.

17. Moderator
    Good info on clips. Never tried any of the new ones but will check a few out.

18. Member
    Hmm, it might be worth the effort to post this on the BBC Kayak forum. I'm sure there are many knowledgeable members on that forum who have already addressed this challenge in their kayak fishing endeavors.

Good luck with your new kayak fishing adventures and please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

19. Member
    Been through them all and now only use the Spro Prime Snaps.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

20. Member
    It takes 1 minute to retie .Just dont get lazy.