2004 statos 285 pro xl

I believe I have a bad fuel sending unit. My fuel gauge goes up and down from 3/4 to empty randomly. I was wondering the best way to access the sending unit. I was told I could take out the plastic back compartments and go that way but not sure if I would have room to replace the unit.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

Happen to have a panel in between the seats? If so, you should be able to access that way.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

3. Member
    No panel took out my back boxes can see the unit no way to get it out unless I take out livewells and move tank back

4. Member
    Yes, you have to take the live well out too. Just got done doin this two days ago. Once livewell is out there is a couple small brackets holding the gas tank in place, just remove them and slide your tank back, sending unit should be right there to access.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Yes, you have to take the live well out too. Just got done doin this two days ago. Once livewell is out there is a couple small brackets holding the gas tank in place, just remove them and slide your tank back, sending unit should be right there to access.

How hard was it taking out livewell? How long of a process?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tnsportsman86 View Post
    How hard was it taking out livewell? How long of a process?
    Not that hard. There’s four quick disconnects for the plumbing, remove the bulkheads, series of screws holding down the livewell and you have to take the livewell doors off. If I had to do it again I could probably access the fuel tank in less than an hour. Then add the time to do what you need to do and time to put it back together. Not that difficult really.