Accidentally Ripped Emergency Brake Cable off Coupler

Title describes my stupidity - failed to unhook the emergency brake cable when I returned from a fishing trip. As a "test" I pulled trailer out of garage, and then backed it back in -- wheels seem to roll freely.

My QUESTION is -- will the surge brakes still work ? (FWIW I have an XR-84 coupler). I've gotten different answers from a couple of different trailer shops.

2. Member
    I have the xr84 as well, if that cable didn't engage the brakes then there is something wrong in the actuator. It's pretty simple in how it works. I believe there is a small bead on the cable, if it's exposed then your brakes should be locked up.

I guess another possibility is that the release hinge on the underside of actuator is engaged in order for the brakes not to be engaged (which is how you release your brakes).

3. Member
    Breakaway feature on UFP couplers applies brake pressure but does not lock them up…..it is simply to prevent a free wheeling trailer. You can release the pressure using the pushrod release bracket…..or a pry tool & the pushrod release bracket. Once it is released, the brakes will function normally…..but the trailer should not be used until the breakaway cable has been repaired.

https://www.boatmateparts.com/manuals/manual_1.pdf
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    ..but the trailer should not be used until the breakaway cable has been repaired.
    One more dumb question -- does your comment about repairs mean (a) that the braking system won't function properly w/o repairing the breakaway cable, or (b) are you saying I need to repair it so that I will regain the additional safety benefit of the breakaway system ??
    Last edited by egammon; 01-04-2022 at 02:28 PM.

5. Member
    Not to hijack the thread, but without the breakaway cable you run risk of having a major accident if something detaches, even though the brakes themselves will function once the push rod is released. I can tell you from experience that those actuators can go bad (i had to have my xr-84 replaced and it was less than a year old), however they are pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble and you'll immediately know if you have a problem. I'd recommend taking a quick look at the instruction manual (page 21). And if you go through this, I'd also get a set of retaining ring pliers from harbor freight.

6. Member
    I have a 2003 Ranger with a dual axle trailer. Several years ago I unhooked the trailer and pulled away tearing the safety brake cable completely off. I hooked boat up several days later and brought it to get repaired and never noticed any difference in the braking.

7. Member
    Check out You Tube, the brakes will work the same as long as you release the plunger from the underside,

The breakaway cable is a safety feature. If the trailer comes off the ball and the big safety cables break, then the small safety cable will tighten up & then break to apply the brakes so the trailer wont run down the highway. The safety cable is suppose to apply the brakes and the brakes are suppose to stay on till released from the bottom side.

It can be a bit tricky replacing the cable if you have never done it, there's some tricks to make it easier, that's why I said look around on you-tube.

good luck, take pictures
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

Quote Originally Posted by egammon View Post
    One more dumb question -- does your comment about repairs mean (a) that the braking system won't function properly w/o repairing the breakaway cable, or (b) are you saying I need to repair it so that I will regain the additional safety benefit of the breakaway system ??
    B.

9. Member
    Repair it……probably a liability issue should it disconnect and damage or kill something/ someone. It us a $15 part……not worth debating a repair.

Brakes will function normally after you release them…..unless the system was damaged when it broke away.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHenry View Post
    I have a 2003 Ranger with a dual axle trailer. Several years ago I unhooked the trailer and pulled away tearing the safety brake cable completely off. I hooked boat up several days later and brought it to get repaired and never noticed any difference in the braking.

Same happened to my '15. Tried going to Ranger dealer and they made it more than impossible to get fixed.......brought to my go-to guy and good as new in a day.

You can test your surge brakes to see if they are working and the actuator is good. Just disconnect the trailer electrical connector and try to back up the trailer, you will immediately know if the brakes are working or not.