225 Mercury Optimax WOT question

I just bought a boat with a 2006 225 Mercury Optimax (cowl says Pro XS but it has a brand new power head so not sure the difference) SN 1B389342. It has a 25P Tempest prop. I took the boat to the lake to get started on the break in Friday. With the trim all the way down I was only able to get ~4400 RPMs. I bumped the trim up just a bit and obviously the RPMs went up but my trim gauge was acting up so I didn't go very high. I raised the jackplate about an inch throughout the day to see if I could get any closer to the ~5k RPMs recommended for the break-in but didn't really see much change. I have the MercMonitor ECO gauge, so all temps, RPM and such were not read from analog gauges. I would have thought raising the motor would have increased the RPMs even with it tucked under, was that incorrect? How can I check that I'm really getting WOT or close to it? I have a service manual (90-8M0057453) for my last motor, a 2015 175 Pro XS that has a procedure for setting WOT but the illustration is different than what I see on my motor. If the procedure is the same I can probably figure it out. I'd just like to confirm the hot foot, cables and linkages are set right. The 4400 was at WOT (very short bursts). I messed around from ~3K to ~4200 for nearly an hour riding around and moving the JP and the break in timer on the MercMonitor reflected that time in the break in countdown timer. I just want to make sure I'm breaking this thing in right. The dealer didn't seem concerned with the RPMs as long as I was varying the throttle around and plowing water...I was doing both.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

2. Member
    First thing I would do is get a friend and step on the hotfoot and see if the throttle is open all the way. It should be 90 degrees open.
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS

3. Member
    Was the powerhead fully dressed or did they use the prior dressing from the old powerhead?
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS

4. Member
    I'll check the throttle blade position to see where it's at. I should have some time later this week to mess with it some more. I'm not sure if it was a fully dressed powerhead or not, I didn't ask. FWIW it starts and runs fine. The dealer put about 20 minutes on it before I picked it up. The last time I had a boat with a new powerhead I had to make some small adjustments once it was broken in to get it just right. I might go ahead and pick up a service manual for this engine as well, they are very helpful in getting things dialed in.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

5. Member
    manual will have all info you need for your mtr and adjustments
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    First thing I would do is get a friend and step on the hotfoot and see if the throttle is open all the way. It should be 90 degrees open.
    Not quite correct. Take a look at the FAQ Section, near the bottom of the page there is a "Hotfoot Adjustment" post.

That post will accurately explain how to check that you are achieving WOT position.

Note: Your engine will not be able to reach peak RPM's until you RAISE THE TRIM TO AN APPROPRIATE LEVEL. See also the FAQ Section for Optimax Engine Break-In Instructions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Don - the break-in procedure provided by the dealer was pretty much the same as what is posted here. I'll read through the hot foot setting thread as well. I've got a new trim sensor on the way so I can get a better feel of where I'm at while running around. Hopefully it'll be here Thursday but if not I'll just set the motor to slightly below level trim before I take off and leave it there while I run around some more. The dealer recommended leaving it tucked or at least slightly below level for the first couple of hours.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

8. Member
    trim engine to a position where steering has no adverse effects on boat handling at breakin
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    JOE54 - not sure I follow what you're saying...
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Raise trim enough to prevent the hull from "plowing water", but no more than level trim (for the 1st two hours). Reasonably well explained in the FAQ post.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I thought that might be what he meant, just wanted to clarify.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80