Unusual Lug Nut damage - what to do?

I noticed the damage to one of the lug nuts on the starboard side of my 2001 Rangertrail trailer. Never seen anything like this before, a few months ago, I had the brakes on the trailer rebuilt by a RV shop as my regular boat trailer shop closed during the pandemic. I'm thinking they might have damaged it when putting the wheel back on the trailer with an impact wrench. What do you guys think, have you seen this type of damage on the closed end of the lug before?

Also, I'm not able to fit the socket over the lug nut now, since it is larger than an undamaged nut, how can I get it off or tighten it?
    Is it safe to drive about 10 miles to a local tire shop, the wheel seems to be tightly attached to hub.

Thanks for any advice on this, don't want my tire to fall off on the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your wheel is not going to fall off with one, or even two, missing nut in the short term.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    Yeah you are good to use it as long as the other lugs are tight. It is hard to tell from the photos what is going on.

4. Member
    Yeah you are good to use it as long as the other lugs are tight. It is hard to tell from the photos what is going on.

It is possible to beat a socket onto a lug with a hammer and then remove the lug. Obviously this can damage the socket.

Hard to tell by the picture but they look like caps over the lug nut. Take a socket that a hair small and hit it on the nut, you should be able to get it to bite enough to back it off. If night go to a tire store they'll have something to get it off.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If those are jacketed lug nuts, might be time to change them all. Water gets trapped between the stainless cover and the actual steel nut and the nut rusts. Google swollen lug nuts.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Yeah, they damaged it. Drive it to them, they’ll get it off & replace it.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

I wouldn't even mess with that ! Take it back to THEM and let them deal with it !! That's BS !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Looks like lug nuts with an outer plastic cover on them, several vehicles came with those and the outer part always does that when they get old, there is an actual lug nut underneath that will take a size smaller socket. Those look almost identical to the ones used on 90s model Jeeps.

10. Member
    Looks like your nuts are swollen. That could turn into a painful experience. Buy some good new ones. I use these from Amazon, couple of years and no issues:https://www.amazon.com/GAsupply-Spli...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Plus I think they look neat and aren't easy to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If those are jacketed lug nuts, might be time to change them all. Water gets trapped between the stainless cover and the actual steel nut and the nut rusts. Google swollen lug nuts.
    What he said.. Looks like rust coming out from under jacket.

12. Member
    Maybe take a screwdriver or chisel and split that cap so you can get a socket on it to take it off the lug nut, then I would take one good off and go to an auto parts store and buy all new ones without the cap.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I agree with the above. When my wife had a flat tire the tow truck driver had a terrible removing the lugs because of swollen jackets. I replaced all of them with non-jacketed lug nuts.

14. Member
    Replace all your lug nuts, or have someone replace them for you. They've been in the water enough. If you want to drive ~3000 miles I'll help you replace them.

15. Member
    Maybe vice grips and if you need extra leverage, an extension bar or pipe. As others have suggested, probably change them all.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Looks like your nuts are swollen. That could turn into a painful experience.
    Good one, Bill!

17. Member
    agreed on next size Smaller (drive on ) esp if 6 point 12 might work but slip faster...Maybe metric even...Also if ya got Impact driver try it ,that hammering works wonders sometimes...

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I agree with the above. When my wife had a flat tire the tow truck driver had a terrible removing the lugs because of swollen jackets. I replaced all of them with non-jacketed lug nuts.
    Did the same with my truck lug nuts lol
    Fish have fins, they swim