New here. Suggestion’s welcomed. Pantera II

AE782B10-5B46-4C0F-ACAE-FD160E240E93.jpeg
    Picked up a new to me 2007 Pantera II. Any suggestions or things to look out for on this particular boat? Prop to pad height suggestion? Best prop and pitch to run? It looks to be in excellent condition, and a quality boat. I’m excited to get it out on the water, and to finally be a Basscat owner. Previously owned a triton tr-21, but always loved the Basscat look! TIA.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

If you ran your Triton at Powell elevation, you already know about pitching it down. I would try to borrow a 23 or 24 Fury with a Merc/Yamaha hub kit and see where your rpms are at. If you have a Slidemaster JP on it, I would start at flush on the plates. If you don't know what this means, do a search or look on the BassCat forum and you should be able to find a picture of where to start.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    If you ran your Triton at Powell elevation, you already know about pitching it down. I would try to borrow a 23 or 24 Fury with a Merc/Yamaha hub kit and see where your rpms are at. If you have a Slidemaster JP on it, I would start at flush on the plates. If you don't know what this means, do a search or look on the BassCat forum and you should be able to find a picture of where to start.
    Thanks for the response. I’ve actually since moved to Oklahoma, so elevation shouldn’t be an issue like it was on Powell. Right now it has a prop on it with just 25-M on it for markings. Not sure who makes it. I have not run it wide open with gear yet, but hope to this weekend.

The 25M is a factory Yamaha prop

the 25m is a good prop for an older merc like a 2.5L
    for the Opti i would look at a 25P Tempest

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    The 25M is a factory Yamaha prop
    Thanks. That’s what I figured.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    the 25m is a good prop for an older merc like a 2.5L
    for the Opti i would look at a 25P Tempest
    Thanks. That’s what I was thinking. I’ve had good experiences with the tempest in the past on multiple boats. Great bow lift, and good top speed.

The HPDI like the Optimax needs to be warmed up properly using a temperature gauge, run hard then let her cool down. Carbon is a 2 stroke killer so use good oil, like Pennzoil XLF and a fuel additive like Ring Free or Quickleen.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    I run a 2006 pantera classic with a Yamaha ox66 running a 25p fury 3. When I bought the boat it had the Yamaha 25m but I didn't care much for how it handled. The fury changed the feel of the boat for me. My classic is a single console and I believe it still is a bit lighter than the p2. A 23-24p fury 3 would probably fit pretty well on that boat.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The HPDI like the Optimax needs to be warmed up properly using a temperature gauge, run hard then let her cool down. Carbon is a 2 stroke killer so use good oil, like Pennzoil XLF and a fuel additive like Ring Free or Quickleen.
    Thanks. I appreciate your input. The boat has run on yamalube it whole life, and I have 4 gallons of it. Would it be smart to stay with it, or switch to another oil?

11. Member
    If you do a search on the board, many say the Penzoil XLF runs cleaner than the Yamalube. I think it’s less expensive as well. I ran it in my HPDI with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate your input. The boat has run on yamalube it whole life, and I have 4 gallons of it. Would it be smart to stay with it, or switch to another oil?
    If it has been running great on Yamalube, there is not a reason to change unless you want to change due to cost or availability. Make sure you run "Don's Cocktail" from the Mercury 3.0L board using either Mercury or the equivalent Yamaha products.

DON'S COCKTAIL:
    1 ounce of Quickleen (reduces carbon) per 5 gallons of fuel
    1 ounce of Quickcare or Quickstore per 5 gallons of fuel.
    Quickcare and Quickstore are both used to prevent the effects of ethanol in the fuel. Quickcare is used if you are going to use the fuel within 30 days. Quickstore is used if it is going to be longer than that time. There is nothing wrong with using Quickstore and using it up quicker.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 01-03-2022 at 09:04 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s