New Boat Batteries for FXR???

So I’ve had the same dealer installed AGM boat batteries in boat since March 2020. Prob around 170 hours on boat with 4 graphs. 3 Helix 12 and 1 LiveScope. MinnKota 4 bank on board charger.

No issues what so ever. Run all day, charge, repeat.

But going into the 2022 season, I’m wondering if it’s just a matter of time before one or more ends their life.

Being someone that likes to prevent and get ahead of issues, should I go ahead and replace them now?

I’d like to go Lithium, but I really don’t want to replace on board charger. I just like running clean without tricking everything up. Can I charge Lithiums with what I have?

Thoughts?

2. Member
    Doubtful less than 2 year old AGM's need replacing but if thats the lie you're telling yourself to justify Lithiums then go for it. I just did the same a few weeks ago.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Doubtful less than 2 year old AGM's need replacing but if thats the lie you're telling yourself to justify Lithiums then go for it. I just did the same a few weeks ago.
    Oh, I’m not sold on Lithiums.

Heck, if the likelihood is good that what I got will last through the season, I’m good with sticking with what I’ve got.

Just don’t want to be stranded in a HS tournament due to battery issues if I could have prevented it by getting ahead of it.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Need to check out our ALL IN Package, Includes a Starting Battery, Trolling battery and charge on the run charger. the entire package weighs around 65lbs

https://www.impulselithium.com/produ...thium-package/

BBC special $2450

Call me with questions

Bill
    205-965-8436

5. Member
    Thanks Bill. Will let you know.

6. Member
    I would think your batteries are still in good shape.
    2020 Skeeter FXR21
    2020 Yamaha 250 SHO
    Solix 15 - dash
    Solix 12 - bow
    Ultrex
    Sea Clear Power harness

7. Member
    N2, You ask the same question we all have. How does my current setup change if I go lithium.
    I'll give your dealer a for installing AGM's for you. The reason you have had no problems.
    I wasn't so lucky, I had to suffer through a power failure and upgrade my crank/accessory battery to AGM.
    I purchased a 2019 FX in Dec of 2019. I have wet cell 28 series for 36V TM and 145AH AGM.
    Disclaimer!
    (First! Yamaha does not allow Lithium batteries for cranking and will not cover under warranty, any issues using them.)
    So, you have the 2019 - 2021 setup of a MinnKotta PC460. This charging system will handle all Wet Cell & AGM batteries.
    It will also handle lithium batteries, BUT the issue with the charger's float voltage doesn't work well for all Lithium's.
    Now most Lithium's have a battery management system. And they are improving every day. So there is hope for the future.

In my opinion, you have a fully loaded electronic rig that does consume some power. You are right to be looking into to your
    batteries life span. Some brands are better than others, the debates have raged on. If you have a good brand of battery,
    you should be fine this year and maybe the next. It will depend on YOUR use and care of them. Cold is a batteries enemy.
    You live in Texas not much worry there. (except for last year's tundra freeze). I now carry a small lithium 12V jump battery
    that can save me if the SHO doesn't start or the Merc. (I jumped a couple on the lake). Other solutions like power chargers
    that use your motor to charge your entire system is another avenue to look at. They are pricey, but some swear they are worth
    every penny.

Good Luck in your choices!

8. Member
    Man, It isn't like they blow up and suddenly quit working. If your AGM's start getting a little puny, then make a switch. If you have $2450 you don't mind spending, buy the lithiums Bill is hawking. If not, buy some more AGM's.

I have the same issue. I bought a new ZX 200 in 2020. It came rigged with Interstate Group 27 wet cells. I've got two hard seasons out them with no issue. Cheap batteries. I don't expect three. I have $2450 for lithiums, but would rather buy AGM's and high dollar jerk baits. Batteries Plus has group 31 AGM for $250. Probably can do better. Lot more cost effective to me than lithium. Buy a lot of Vision 110's for $1500.

Personally, I would expect the AGM's to go at least 4 seasons, maybe more, depending on how you use and maintain them.

9. Member
    Impulse lithiums are dynamite. Love em.

You should have at least 2 more seasons with your existing AGM's.