Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The Caracal is exactly what it is. YOU want it to be something it is not…a boat with a 250. Most boat makers have a 19 footer with a 225. It performs great in waves. I have had mine on Lake Erie and Lake Lanier in the summer. It did just fine. I did not have to do anything different than when I was out in the same stuff with my Cougar with a 250.
    Good point, if the Caracal was priced similarly to the competition. It’s priced as a premium pro-level boat, but the performance isn’t quite there. I’d love to spend 65K on a nice 1yr old Caracal, but for Clear Lake, The Delta, Mead and any other big lakes, I know I’ll regret not spending a bit more coin for a Cougar or Lynx. If those are out of my price range I’ll have to go Phx or Skeeter:(
    Lake Shasta Record Spotted Bass: 9.63lbs

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    They should make it with another 4" built in setback so it would be a 20' boat that could be rated for a 250 or more.
    Have you been in a Caracal on the water?

3. Member
    It's worth every penny. I had a 520 for 15 years and got a Caracal last summer. I loved that 520, which is why I held off for so long. But moving to the Caracal, the fishability and layout are much better and I have more storage. The thought into the bilge layout is impressive, everything is right there. All connections, fittings, hardware etc were perfect and top quality.

As for needing a 250, the Caracal is faster and better in rough water. It absolutely feels rock solid with no rattles, vibrations. It gets on top and slices though the waves.

The Caracal/ BCBs may cost more than the "competition" but that is recouped at resale time and time not spent on repairs.

I have some minor complaints with the Cat, but nothing having to do with quality.

4. Member
    I remember going to a boat show awhile back and setting in a stratos 201 pro all decked out with s 250 etec. Priced under 30,000 I sat in that thing for an hour and backed out cause the rude. I'm in the same mind set crazy how fast things have changed.

5. Member
    The amount of options and accessories is endless these days and sure does drive up the cost. Love my 2016 Caracal. Probably only using it 6-8 times a year but do everything I can to keep it looking good.
    Basscat!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    I remember going to a boat show awhile back and setting in a stratos 201 pro all decked out with s 250 etec. Priced under 30,000 I sat in that thing for an hour and backed out cause the rude. I'm in the same mind set crazy how fast things have changed.
    the e-tec would still be running like new!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    The Caracal is a great boat for its size. It handles big water awesome has great storage really to dang much you can stuff way to much stuff in it. I personally love the layout of it.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Moderator
    Considering the etec came out in 2005, I call BS on this one. Meaning a loaded out 201 with a 250 for under 30K back in 2005. That boat was on my list and at that time, C and O Marine sold a ton of them. Not even close to $30K though. They were upper $40's to low $50's.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Considering the etec came out in 2005, I call BS on this one. Meaning a loaded out 201 with a 250 for under 30K back in 2005. That boat was on my list and at that time, C and O Marine sold a ton of them. Not even close to $30K though. They were upper $40's to low $50's.
    I might be wrong on the etec maybe but it was a 201 pro not a 20 xl or extreme I think they started making them around 2003 again. I have an 08 now. Anyway I went back to our club and was telling everyone I thought it was the deal of the show under 30 thinking likev29,995 but still under thirty.

10. Moderator
    I might be wrong on the etec maybe but it was a 201 pro not a 20 xl or extreme I think they started making them around 2003 again. I have an 08 now. Anyway I went back to our club and was telling everyone I thought it was the deal of the show under 30 thinking likev29,995 but still under thirty.
    The 201 is a great boat!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Compared to what wages are, everything in the US is overpriced due to being able to finance it. Thus, this is why this country has a personal debt problem. I'd bet that the majority of boat buyers couldn't come up with 1/2 the cash to buy one.
    I am fishing out of a 2013 Puma FTD. Not going to lie, I would love to have one more new boat. I paid right at 50k for my 2013. When I left the dealership I financed four grand. It had bare bones electronic with no power poles. I even ask them not to mount the electronics in the dash. When I got the boat home I installed my used but fairly new electronics. After the boat was paid for I installed a set of eight foot blades.

There is a difference in being able to buy something and being able to afford something. I can buy any 21 foot fishing boat made within reason but I don't see how the average guy justifies being able to afford one. I know I can't afford to buy a 75k dollar boat. I have a boat fund but just being realistic I don't see ever being able to go buy a new Bass Cat or any other boat I'd want. What I am not going to do is finance a Bass boat for ten to twelve years or longer. That just goes back to there being a difference in being able to buy and being able to afford.

What I am going to do is keep taking care of the boat that I own right now and keep saving towards another boat. It still fishes and looks good. I bought my first Bass Cat in 2006. I bought my Puma in 2013. If I hit the lottery I'd buy or order another tomorrow. Before I buy I'll be able to come up with a lot more than half the money. May have to finance a little but it will be a little.

12. Member
    Glass Bass boats do not fall in the average guy budget. At least when compared to the average income in the USA.
    Some of the smaller aluminum rigs do.
    Being able to pay a note on a boat does mean it’s affordable as long as the fits within your budget.

Overall, the Glass Bass boat market falls into the upper middle class and above.
    There is always the used market to fit into those with smaller budgets.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralexan View Post
    It's worth every penny. I had a 520 for 15 years and got a Caracal last summer. I loved that 520, which is why I held off for so long. But moving to the Caracal, the fishability and layout are much better and I have more storage. The thought into the bilge layout is impressive, everything is right there. All connections, fittings, hardware etc were perfect and top quality.

As for needing a 250, the Caracal is faster and better in rough water. It absolutely feels rock solid with no rattles, vibrations. It gets on top and slices though the waves.

The Caracal/ BCBs may cost more than the "competition" but that is recouped at resale time and time not spent on repairs.

I have some minor complaints with the Cat, but nothing having to do with quality.
    Your Ranger was 15 years, I am sure the Cat is better in everyway, as is every other boat made.

14. Member
    520 was and still is a very good boat.

15. Member
    As most gave said the comparisons are apples to oranges, with the Phoenix being a rotten orange, the Caymas boat will put up a good effort, for overall fit and finish the Basscat will win, layout and storage the Caymas for me would win, trailer basscat. I had a P2 from ‘ 07 thru ‘14, my only complaint was the rod lockers. They are too narrow, I had rod organizers on both sides with 10 rods each. It was a battle trying to get rods out. The Caracal’s port side rod storage is pitiful and the deck layout should be simpler, symmetry would reduce fabrication cost.

costs are crazy, they get these prices because loans go out forever. I paid cash for my first 4 boats, 2 champions, 1 Ranger and 1 basscat. I could afford to pay cash but it became difficult to justify the price. A 95 champion 181 was 17,000, my 07 basscat was 43,000, after back surgery I fished from a buster boat, then sold the BC and went back to a used mountain home champion, for the same price as my first one. Will be looking at used BC hybrids in the next few years. Never buy new again.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Hello the etec technology was in 98. Had a 98-201 with a 200 Evinrude. I was at an flw event in 97 that all the boats were 150 etec's.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    Hello the ficht technology was in 98. Had a 98-201 with a 200 Evinrude. I was at an flw event in 97 that all the boats were 150 ficht.
    fify

18. Member
    they are all over priced

I believe you are thinking of the Evinrude FICHT motors in the late 90's early 2000's - the ETEC came out in 2005 as mentioned above.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234