Thread: Premium fuel

Premium fuel

Read on hear before some 2s pro xs need premium fuel. What years and sizes were they. Thx. About to start looking

2. Member
    Straight from the FAQ at top of forum - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

-All models- MAXIMUM ETHANOL CONTENT: 10%. Ethanol content may adversly affect engine performance.
    -See "Mercury's View of Ethanol" on Sherm's board at:Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel
    -Standard Opti's (ALL) 87 Octane MINIMUM.
    -Standard 2-stroke Carb/EFI Models: 87 Octane MINIMUM.
    -XS, XB or Racing PRIOR to 2006- CONSULT OWNER'S MANUAL! Most require High-Test!
    >>>>-ProXS and 250XS 2006-UP: 87 Octane MINIMUM. IF poor idle quality occurs, could can try 89 Octane (mid-grade) to see if quality improves.<<<<
    -300XS- Consult Owner's Manual. High Grade (minimum 91 Octane) fuel required!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Read on hear before some 2s pro xs need premium fuel. What years and sizes were they. Thx. About to start looking
    If you would, please take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    My Mercury guy said 87 octane was fine but if you’re going to get “dirty fuel” from your local gas station, odds are it will be in the 87. He told me to run 89 as it tends to be “cleaner” at the pumps. I ran 87 in my previous Opti for 14 years without a single issue.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey6404 View Post
    My Mercury guy said 87 octane was fine but if you’re going to get “dirty fuel” from your local gas station, odds are it will be in the 87. He told me to run 89 as it tends to be “cleaner” at the pumps. I ran 87 in my previous Opti for 14 years without a single issue.
    Best I recall, 89 is usually a mix from the 87 and 93 tanks, so you would still be getting some "dirt" out of the 87 tank.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    XS racing not PXS
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey6404
    Quote Originally Posted by caddelma View Post
    Best I recall, 89 is usually a mix from the 87 and 93 tanks, so you would still be getting some "dirt" out of the 87 tank.
    Sorry guys- but the above statements would provide for a very unusual fuel station. Different octanes are stored in different tanks, and ALL fuels must be filtered before entering the nozzle hose.

Strongly recommend reading through the link provided in Post# 2 (above).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Sorry guys- but the above statements would provide for a very unusual fuel station. Different octanes are stored in different tanks, and ALL fuels must be filtered before entering the nozzle hose.

Strongly recommend reading through the link provided in Post# 2 (above).
    Years ago most stations had separate tanks for each octane. Modern stations blend to get 89.

9. Member
    I remember back in the early 70's at the Sunoco stations they had these pumps.
    I always wondered exactly how they really worked. They would fill two ground tanks,
    one with 87 oct and the other with 93 oct. Set the dial and it would blend your fuel as it pumped.
    If I remember right, it was like 190 to 260 being the blends...

Sunoco.jpg

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Years ago most stations had separate tanks for each octane. Modern stations blend to get 89.
    Some may- and it may be more (or less) common in various areas of the country.

Many of the stations I frequent have separate tanks (some more than five).

11. Member
    Actually still a few out there, still mixes fuel
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey6404 View Post
    ponder this ; which fuel has the most frequent replentish /highest volume turn over , 87 less chance of phase separation in thier tank system, HMMMMMMM
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    ponder this ; which fuel has the most frequent replentish /highest volume turn over , 87 less chance of phase separation in thier tank system, HMMMMMMM
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax