Front deck replacement

I have a 1999 202 champion. The seat pedestal was soft as well as various other spots in the front deck. I cut the deck out and I’m looking at replacing the wood. I thought about putting a 3/8s sheet of aluminum in there instead of wood but it’s expensive. Might still go that route. My concern is tying it back into the sides and being strong. I’m sure someone on here has done this any ideas will
    be appreciated
    will post pictures when I get to computer

2. Member
    Did you mean 3/16" aluminum? 3/8" would be way overkill and I have never even seen 3/8 aluminum sheeting for sale anywhere.

3. Member
    I have seen FRP panels used for this. They are about 3/16 thick. Rough them up with a sanding wheel and laminate them together with fiberglass resin. You can go as thick as you want. Very light and strong when you sandwich 3 or more together! FRP is available in 4x8 sheets at most good home building supply centers. It is mostly used in restaurants as a waterproof wall covering. FRP is short for fiberglass reinforced plastic.
    Last edited by Slammer1; 01-02-2022 at 07:50 AM.
    2000 Javelin 18 Venom
    2002 Javelin MSX 21 Walleye boat

4. Member
    If your Champ deck has end grain balsa as a core it will have to be removed where water damaged. Good news it is in 2in or so squares, I just remove what is needed and fit a piece of Coosa Bluewater 26 into the opening. You will need to butter the inner glass with thickened epoxy and weight down your patch core so it is below the upper deck. If you plan on going back with the recessed base it's a bit more work and complex. I just install a SS seat base on top of the carpet after the repair is complete. Patch pieces of Coosa can be purchased online and multiple pieces can be used in one hole to fill entire void from removing old core.

5. Member
    Use divinycell, easy to find, lighter that aluminum and cheaper than marine plywood. Soaks up resin and gets as hard a concrete.
    Replace the wood (1/2" balsa) fairing compound to fill in any voids on the sides, cover with glass, gelcoat to protect the glass from water and cover with carpet.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR