25 HP 4 stroke won’t start

Hi all.

2002 25 HP 4 stroke, serial number OT522855.

Went fishing for a little while yesterday and everything was going fine, for a while. I went to start my super dependable 2002 25 horse 4 stroke, but it wouldn’t start. So I disengaged the tranny, gave it a little gas and off I went. When I got to my destination and dropped the tranny into neutral it died. Although unusual, I didn’t think much about it and went on about my business. After fishing the new spot, no go. Spun like crazy but no fire. Thankfully I was able to troll back to the dock.

After I got home, I started checking things out. Fuel didn’t seem to be the problem since the filter has fuel in it. I gave it a squirt of starter fluid but still no fire, leading me to think that it’s ignition related. I’m at a loss on how to proceed. Any insights would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Ott; 01-01-2022 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added details

2. Member
    Pros will ask, so please see the Announcement at top of forum and add your engine serial number when you can.

Please Read BEFORE Posting
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please be sure to provide your serial number when posting. Thanks!

Start with the basics- Compression, Spark, Fuel and Fuel Delivery.

SPARK (and condition of spark plugs) would be the most logical step to start with (don't overlook REPLACING the plugs as many a well-seasoned tech has been bitten by "assuming" they were ok just because they "looked" good).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Serial number added.