Considering 87 189v Stratos

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at a 1987 Stratos 189v. I am looking at a few older boats including a couple Rangers (350v, and 373). I don't mind doing a little work. Plan is to maybe fish a few little local tournaments and some family fun. I have not owned a bass boat for over 12 yrs. What should I be looking for when inspecting this boat? I like the 189v over the Rangers because a little longer. Any advise would be appreciated. I know they are old but so am I and not looking to get into a payment so close to retiring.

2. Member
    check for rotten wood and rotten trailers
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    The 87 Stratos 189v w/ 150gt Johnson appears to be decent shape for the year. I Engine is not the original and is a few years newer. Will need Gel Coat work as expected, hull, transom, and floor appear to be solid. Will need pumps worked on or replaced and has no electronics. I would be planning on pretty much rewiring to be safe, also has cheap seats but are useable. Anyone have an idea approximately what I should pay? Seems like if I was willing to travel boats that appear to be in similar shape in TN or AL are listing for mid $3000's. I am in Central IN. I really like the size of this boat for what I want.

Ed