Thread: 2 stroke motors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Pennzoil 18 bucks a gallon

2. Member
    quicksilver premium plus 24.00 same price for years.

3. Banned
    Think i paid 39$ for dfi the other day. 2 gallons with tax was 84$.

4. Member
    2 Stroke ENGINE or 4 stroke ENGINE
    Motors are electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic.
    INTERNAL COMBUSTION = ENGINE
    Sorry guys, had an old professor in college that busted our nuts on this every time he caught it. Now I can’t forget it. Always funny to listen to the NASCAR guys always talk about their motor troubles.

5. Member
    10-4 on that. But why it’s called an outboard motor by the industry. Never could understand that

6. Member
    I'm running a 2005 mercury XR6 2 stroke with god only knows how many hours on it. She's a little cold natured but starts every time and runs like a raped ape wide open throttle. She needs very little maintenance and is an old simple carbureted model and I'll run her until she gives up the ghost. Not sure whether I'll rebuild or repower then but leaning towards rebuild because it's so easy to take care of...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    I'm running a 2005 mercury XR6 2 stroke with god only knows how many hours on it. She's a little cold natured but starts every time and runs like a raped ape wide open throttle. She needs very little maintenance and is an old simple carbureted model and I'll run her until she gives up the ghost. Not sure whether I'll rebuild or repower then but leaning towards rebuild because it's so easy to take care of...
    I’ve got a 2003 XR6 on my Bass Cat. It’s been a great motor and I’ve run it hard. I’ve replaced trigger, stator, voltage regulators, starter, and starter solenoid. It’s a pretty easy motor to work on. I’m trying to get 18 more months out of mine and then I’ll probably upgrade boats and go with a 4 stroke. I think the XR6 is the best two-stroke outboard ever made.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin R. View Post
    I'm a huge 2 stroke fan, My yamaha 200vmax is 20 years old and runs fine. True, anything can happen and cause a failure, but same is true for 4 stroke engines.
    I have the same 200 HP outboard -runs great ALL the time !!

9. Member
    I ran a 2000 year Merc 225 EFI for 12 years without a single problem. I now have a 4S Yamaha SHO and a 2S Merc 90 Opti. I like them both. My opinion is that the older XR6 and EFI Merc motors before the Opti DFI stuff, were / are the most bulletproof 2S outboards ever made. Especially the early 2000 Merc EFI engines. They were thirsty and since the oil was in the fuel they got plenty of oil so they lasted and lasted. Main keys about engines, especially used engines. First get a warranty if you can, after all anything can happen. Have the engine checked out by a good experienced outboard mechanic. Lastly is after you buy it then take care of it. Don't skimp on Maintenance like filters and fluid changes. Allow the engine to warm up and cool down. There is no need to run everywhere WOT in my opinion. If you mostly cruise in the 4000 to 4500 rpm range for most of your running then your engine stands a much better chance of reaching old age. Engines are just like us. If you run hard, play hard, don't eat right, don't rest, don't take care of yourself then guess what --- you get old and worn out before your time:-)

10. Member
    Last edited by tj; 05-20-2022 at 10:42 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

I switched from Mercury DFI oil to Amsoil HP Marine oil a few years back. My OB idles smoother, and runs better throughout the power range now.
    It burns much cleaner as evidenced by the lack of soot on the prop exhaust. Nothing but 87 Non-ethanol fuel from day one. Last time I had it serviced the motor had something shy of 400 hours on it (can’t recall the exact hours). The only part ever replaced was the onboard oil tank. I hope to get at least two more seasons out of it before I move to a 4S. It’s been a great OB.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

12. Member
    1300 hrs on mine 2stroke Yamaha. Runs great. Only replaced fuel pumps and a fuel pump relay in 20years. Take care of those EFI motors and they will last a very long time.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12