Thread: HVAC Guys?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Had an issue with my system recently. The furnace would come on but the fan/blower would not. Tech came out and said it was the pressure switch. He tapped it a few times and blew out the lines and it started working properly. He said sometimes cold will stick the solenoid open. They said if it happens again, they would replace the switch and quoted me $348 for the switch and install. I went on Amazon and bought an OEM switch for my Goodman furnace for $12.00 and just installed it myself. Everything is working fine. How could they possibly quote that much? Did I miss something? It seemed a very straight forward install to m
    NoCAL
    Because they have overhead!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

2. Member
    I have to chime in on this one since I work in the trades as an electrician for a large hvac company. While I fully agree if someone is capable of doing things themselves more power to them if they can do it CORRECTLY to CODE and MANUFACTURE SPEC. I am not trying to disrespect anyone on here individually but just making a general statement I have seen in 20 plus years. One thing I have noticed is people see what they can get certain things from Amazon, other internet sites, and box stores. While usually cheaper generally these are not the places we are getting commercial grade or factory replacement parts which are generally more expensive. Sometimes significantly more expensive. Will the other material work…. Yeah most likely but for how long. We have a one year warranty on parts and 30 day on labor. Our supply houses carry a one year warranty on most parts besides normal wear and tear. So generally higher grade parts with a better warranty generally speaking and cost more. Then you get to just the tools needed to preform routine daily duties. I don’t think generally people understand the thousands of dollars inside and service van, especially an hvac service van. Between gauges, pumps, meters, and locators it adds up fast and that’s not close to everything . While I understand that I might not use every tool on every call, I still need to have them because they are regular used items that the cost gets passed down as overhead to all costumers. Plus lots of tools have to be recalibrated every year or two and it’s not cheap. Then there’s general overhead such as management, sales, insurance, office, vehicles, IT, uniforms,etc. Then there’s licenses. Every town, county or whatever it is in your area you have to get licensed and then keep up on your ceu’s to retain your license. This is not all the cost but gives a broader idea. So like I said a $12 part from Amazon that might not be correctly listed and certified is going to cost me 2-10 times that before mark up at a legit supply house. Then with overhead and labor cost that’s how a $12 Amazon part is is a $350 quote from a hvac company. Like I said if someone is capable and does it themselves more power to them and even if the Amazon part fails you could replace several and still be ahead. But on the flip side if a person has a company repeatedly come out and diagnose the issue and then the owner repairs it themselves when the time comes the contractor has to do a repair expect their bill to reflect that. And to just add another overhead issue that customers are just not paying so those cost get passed on because they know most companies won’t go to court for lower amounts. So like I said not picking on anyone individually just stating what I have seen over the years.

I just swallowed a large pill today having and evaporative cooler changed out, defrost sensor, and capacitor.. parts were all under warranty and yet the overhead and such cost me $3800/labor and Freon. Yes it seems high but from a reputable company here in Fayetteville and whom I bought from originally. I hope our relationship is better then some compared to blind calling companies. Also my service records show they are the only one servicing the equipment.. these fact helps swallowing the pills easier. Although I was sure I paid for the equipment too do to the $3800.. mechanic was gone in 2:15. Will admit, they were Johnny on the spot turn the repair prior to this mess coming in today..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

4. Member
    I get great satisfaction figuring out and repairing things myself. Youtube helps immensely. Especially when I know a service company would have charged an arm and a leg. Lets me add a few more 110s to the tackle box.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123