Thread: shanty

shanty

I got the ice bug waiting on ice and since we do not get much here is there a cheap single or double man flip over. i build a cabelas one where you get the kit and put in the floor but for one guy its a lot to drag around

2. Member
    In Ohio what kind of ice season do you guys have? And typically you don't get down into the subzero temps much do you? I would say get a good ice fishing suit like the new Ice Armor Edge X suit and fish outside. Staying mobile while ice fishing generally nets you the most success. I've been out in my new Edge X suit a few times this year and it is the most comfortable ice fishing suit I have ever been in, and I have tried a LOT of them over the years. If you want the floatation properties, the Rise suit from Ice Armor is great as well, just slightly stiffer fabric than the Edge X.

If you are looking for something easy to pull around for a small flip over house to haul your gear, the Kenai Pro Thermal is a great shack. I picked one of them up last year and modded it to make it lighter and it turned out awesome. I mounted my Mr Heater buddy heater in there along with some flexible aluminum duct that mounts up to a computer fan. I have it set up to take heat from just above the heater thru the duct and out to the ice down by my feat to circulate the warm air. I used that during a tournament last year when the air temps were -25 and windchill was -40. Kept me warm thru the day when most of the other guys ended up with frostbite.

If you are interested in seeing any of that I could post up some photos or a video on how I built it out.

3. Member
    There are several on marketplace on facebook listed.

4. Member
    TDobb
    we do get in the teens but it varies from year to year have had years where we get good ice for two months and use the gas auger, i do jig in the open and have clothes to will do that just want to maybe go back and try fishing with a graph and figured it might be more pleasant in a shanty

5. Member
    What's cheap? Hard to beat a Clam Nanook for a small 2 man. They cost more, but the thermal is the way to go...not only for heat, but wind noise in unisulated shacks is very irritating.

6. Member
    I keep checking Market Place, probably wait till end of winter and try to find one on sale

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    In Ohio what kind of ice season do you guys have? And typically you don't get down into the subzero temps much do you? I would say get a good ice fishing suit like the new Ice Armor Edge X suit and fish outside. Staying mobile while ice fishing generally nets you the most success. I've been out in my new Edge X suit a few times this year and it is the most comfortable ice fishing suit I have ever been in, and I have tried a LOT of them over the years. If you want the floatation properties, the Rise suit from Ice Armor is great as well, just slightly stiffer fabric than the Edge X.

If you are looking for something easy to pull around for a small flip over house to haul your gear, the Kenai Pro Thermal is a great shack. I picked one of them up last year and modded it to make it lighter and it turned out awesome. I mounted my Mr Heater buddy heater in there along with some flexible aluminum duct that mounts up to a computer fan. I have it set up to take heat from just above the heater thru the duct and out to the ice down by my feat to circulate the warm air. I used that during a tournament last year when the air temps were -25 and windchill was -40. Kept me warm thru the day when most of the other guys ended up with frostbite.

If you are interested in seeing any of that I could post up some photos or a video on how I built it out.
    Please do post a pic of your heat exchange that you built. Thanks!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Please do post a pic of your heat exchange that you built. Thanks!
    I will shoot a little bit better video of the system this weekend, I gotta make a few repairs to the build out after my TFD day on Tonka last weekend. Dumped the shack about 6 times going over drifts pulling it behind my buddy's machine, my wheeler didn't want to start Saturday morning, broke all kinds of stuff. Heater still works as designed though, so that is good.