Anyone Leave Phoenix for Skeeter?

I’ve been looking pretty hard at the Phoenix for quite some time, but recently was able to sit in a new ZXR21 and liked it a lot as well (especially the price). Have any of you owned a Phoenix and left for Skeeter? If so, what was the reason behind the switch and why did you choose Skeeter?

2. Member
    I've got two friends who moved from Phoenix to the ZXR platform. Both said it was because of the ride and price point of the ZXR.

3. Member
    I was going to buy a Phoenix but just ordered a ZXR21. Seems to be best bang for the $.

The dealer I use carries Phoenix and Skeeter. Some guys move back and forth between the two. I initially was not crazy about Phoenix as quite honestly a few of their owners on here went way overboard with the "Phamily" stuff........after riding in them and cracking through all the models they are a damn nice boat. I will probably get one eventually but always seem to gravitate back to a Skeeter. My fear with the ZXR platform is they are gonna raise the price and it not be the steal that they are now.

I was planning on getting the 919 or 19PHX until I saw skeeter release the new ZXR and got rid of the team deck platform. I’m a fan of 19 footers, but I got in a ZXR20 decked out for the same price I would’ve paid for a 919 with 225.

I’ve had the boat since July this year and had multiple co anglers tell me that the ride is one of the best they’ve ever been in.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    I looked at both hard a couple months ago in the 21’ class. For what you get skeeter is hard to beat for the money. Zxr21 has a massive deck.

7. Member
    I wish skeeter would make a zxr 200 or offer some of the premium options on the zx series. I’m downsizing from a zx 225 to a zx 200 but would have loved to have full padded deck and the seats from the zxr. I don’t see a 20 footer with expensive electronics etc as I have been fishing without any for years and have no issues finding and catching fish. ( remember tho I’m not fishing tournaments any longer) I just feel it’s a market they might be missing in my opinion

I ran Skeeter from 2011-2017 and then for the last 4 years Phoenix. I’d go back to a Skeeter they are really great boats. Love the look and finishing touches, touch panel etc. They aren’t going to beat the ride of a Phoenix IMO but they ride and handle very well. Also believe the newer models don’t porpoise as easily if you trim up too fast.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

9. Member
    i went back and fourth..just something didnt feel right about the phenix but they put some nice materials in there boats

10. Member
    I went from Phoenix to Skeeter about a year ago. The rough water ride was better in the Phoenix over my ZX225 but the front deck was really short. A 7’ rod shouldn’t hang off the deck of a 19’ class boat. The short decks are really what kept me out of another one. Also, both of my tourney partners are big boys and the Skeeter is much more stable when they move around. A year later I’m happy with the decision. The Skeeter was $10k less with the same rigging and I gained quite a bit of front deck real estate.

11. Scraps
    Biggest difference I see between the two is the varied layouts available with Skeeter and looks. I could start a fight, but I've always thought the bugs look a little better. A third thing, at least between the ZX and FXs, are "point and shoot" boats where Phoenix you have to learn to drive the chine. My understanding Phoenix has a slight edge in the quality of materials like resin used in the hulls.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    721 to a zxr21. Regret it in many ways. But my first love was a zx190 so .... I do love the ride. I have also had an fx20 ,zx250 and now zxr.

13. Member
    I ran several Skeeter and bought a phoenix several years back with a Yamaha on it. It was a nice boat and I did like the removable console for when I took the kids. Also the side rod storage was nice for keeping rods I rarely used in but I am back in a Skeeter FXR now

14. Member
    I just traded in my 2017 721 w/a 2020 300Merc proXS for a holdover 2021 FXR21APEX. I loved my 721, great in rough water, fished deep water, fished shallow well, boat was amazing for performance and fast as hell.
    Some negatives.. trailer issues all the time, not a great trailer IMO. A lot of plastic parts on a Phoenix, cracking, needing replaced, etc. Overall, I loved the boat, but wanted to try something new as I am shifting to more offshore and deep water fishing (northern MI, Lake St Clair, etc.). I wanted to try the FXR21 and the dealer had a 2021 holdover APEX available, plus got a very good deal and nice trade in as well. Looking forward to picking up the Skeeter after it's rigged n ready end of Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthLanier View Post
    I’ve been looking pretty hard at the Phoenix for quite some time, but recently was able to sit in a new ZXR21 and liked it a lot as well (especially the price). Have any of you owned a Phoenix and left for Skeeter? If so, what was the reason behind the switch and why did you choose Skeeter?
    For starters howdie from another Lanier fisherman. I looked hard at both Phoenix, and Skeeter. I ended up with a Skeeter ZX225 myself. This is my 3rd Skeeter, and one of my favorites so far. I have wanted a Phoenix for a while, but I felt like I got more value in the Skeeter at this time.
    2021 Skeeter Zx225
    2021 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Ultrex 112# w/ Ipilot
    Helix 12 Mega+SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ DI
    Helix 9 Chirp/GPS
    Garmin 1222 w/ LSV32
    Ionic Lithium