Anyone fish Lake Summerset?

On the process of purchasing a small plot, really just to have access to the lake itself and the campgrounds. I've heard the fishing is insane from a credible source but thought I'd run a post to get info from you all. It's an effort to see I'd we want to consider buying a home on Summerset, ACL, or Lake Carroll.

ACL actually allows rentals which is new to me, so we have a weekend planned out there in July to get a feel for everything. I've heard the fishing isn't excellent at ACL in terms of quality, but is getting better?

As far as trying out Carroll, I'd just assume it's similar to ACL in terms of layout and amenities.

2. Member
    The fishing goes up and down at Summerset. Walleyes and Crappies are overfished. Ice fishing is big on the lake. Bass are very good and Muskie is slightly above average.

3. Member
    I'd be the only weirdo going for bass so likely would be out of everyone else's way. Seems like an enormous grass lake which can be pretty intimidating but then again can make it fish bigger due to all the grass lines, holes, etc. Thanks for the feedback.

4. Member
    Where is it ?

5. Member
    Davis. Need to be a land/property owner or a guest of one. Small lake NW of Rockford.

I seriously looked at ACL several years ago but was turned off by the HUGE list of rules and fees. And this is someone who is generally pro-HOA.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

7. Member
    Yeah I've heard about that. Very strict, seem to need a permit for everything, fines handed out like candy. I'm not terribly bothered by all that. Trying to keep a bigger picture in mind. With ACL there's atv/sled trails, access to some skiing in the winter, hiking, golf, etc. Carroll seems to be similar but not as stringent on the rules. Summerset definitely has the fishing but doesn't seem like there's much happening around it.

Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    Yeah I've heard about that. Very strict, seem to need a permit for everything, fines handed out like candy. I'm not terribly bothered by all that. Trying to keep a bigger picture in mind. With ACL there's atv/sled trails, access to some skiing in the winter, hiking, golf, etc. Carroll seems to be similar but not as stringent on the rules. Summerset definitely has the fishing but doesn't seem like there's much happening around it.
    I definitely get it. It seemed that ACL would be a great all-seasons location and it is relatively close to Galena and Pool 13. Plus it's close enough for weekend getaways. But we fell in love with Northern Michigan so we've decided to buy there instead in a few years. Good luck.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

9. Member
    I have a friend with a house there. I haven't fished it yet, but I know there is motor restrictions so I'd have to get a different boat if I lived there. He does ok fishing, but isn't a huge fisherman and just got a boat last year. Seems like there's a lot of pleasure boats during the summer.