TRX18 center storage compartment

Getting a new boat and I'm torn between the Triton and a Ranger Z518.
    I really like the Triton and am leaning heavy towards it, but the one thing I really don't like about the TRX is the lack of any tackle organization device in the front center compartment. It's just a big open hole.
    Has anyone addressed this by fabing something themselves or is there anything on the market that addresses this ? Do the guys that have one of these like the fact that it's " just a big open hole " ?
    Thanks,
    CR
    Last edited by Cedar ridge; 02-03-2022 at 08:31 AM.

2. Member acoberhauser@hotmail.com's Avatar
    I used a few of the expandable curtain rods that a few posted about temporarily. I am still actively looking for a permanent solution. It is a large space that holds plenty of gear. Ampd marine has a bunch of different options in their webpage I just don’t know what will fit on the Triton. I was going to take measurements and email them and see.

3. Member
    I just got a 18 TRX. I was worried about this too, but it’s actually working out just fine. I had a Phoenix before and it had something built in. But, it also caused some limitations. With the big open space I have a bunch of 3700 boxes that fit in snugly. Don’t move around at all. Plastics placed in bigger zip bags behind those. I was going to order some of the AMPD marine generic 3700 holders but don’t think I will now. I seem to be able to keep it nice and organized without them for the moment.
    2019 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

4. Member
    3700 boxes along with my rain suit, full coverage helmet, and bags of plastics make it full enough to prevent much movement. It does hold a lot of tackle and gear.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Thanks guys. I checked out Ampd marine's website and it does look like they have several options for other makes/models so I sent them an email to see if they have ever fitted something in an 18 TRX.
    It sounds like you guys have found a way to make it work out and are liking the vast amount of storage you have to work with so I'm sure I'll be fine.
    I love everything else about the boat so I believe I've settled on the Triton.
    I can't get anything bigger than 18'8 in my garage without a lot of maneuvering so I think this boat will work out just fine for me. I fish by myself alot and it seems like this boat will fish bigger than an 18' class boat.
    I've had 20'ers in the past that didn't carry the width at the front that the Triton offers.

6. Member
    I have a 2020 model, at 1st I wasn't a fan of the center storage but after putting down some non-skid material in the bottom, have 3700 boxes lined up across the width with the aforementioned rod going side to side in the middle. Everything stays put and I have enough room in the front for life jackets, rain gear, lunch box. I posted a picture of it on here a year or so ago. No problems at all with the boat, I like mine, it fishes well IMO.

7. Member
    I bought tackle binders/bags for my center compartment and used a label maker to organize.

Chatabass - you have a pic of the center storage? I could not find it

8. Member

9. Member
    Looks like a well planned use of a nice large center storage to me
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

10. Member
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but how long of rods will this boat hold in the lockers?

11. Member
    I have nothing longer than 7'6" and that fits.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

12. Member acoberhauser@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Anything back from Amped Marine on the storage?

13. Member
    The storage rack that I came up with for the center storage area is in this thread. It’s still working great and only takes a couple hours and about $30 to put together. Been in the boat 4 years now

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1095076
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

14. Member
    I never got a response from Amped.
    Boat is still on order, but I have had some time to think about it and have a few ideas.
    If my idea(s) turn out to amount to anything, I'll post up some pictures.
    Thanks

15. Member
    Update....I spoke with Page Johnson with AMPD marine.
    They have not done anything with 18 TRX yet, but Page said if someone was near Longview , Texas and wanted to bring their boat to them they would work something up.
    If anyone is interested, you can reach them on Facebook messenger or call them at 903-736-7941.
    Thanks,
    CR

16. Member
    20220316_200351.jpg

I have a 2021 189 TrX (same boat) and the open front storage was actually a plus for me. I am old school and always have had my tackle in tackle boxes (maybe just to lazy to change). I have way to much of it too. There would not be any way for me to fit all my tackle boxes into the front storage if it had a storage system. My tackle boxes were to big to fit into the rear storage boxes too. I will try to remember to take a pic of the front storage with all my old school stuff in it.
    Last edited by Rigit; 03-17-2022 at 02:26 PM.

17. Member
    20220325_161619.jpg
    20220325_161619.jpg

So here is what I came up with. Certainly not reinventing the wheel, but it is going to keep my stuff organized and easy to find. I primarily crappie fish and keep plastics in their original packaging, bagged in ziplocks and sorted by color and profile. I can throw in whichever bags I want based on the lake I'm fishing and still keep all of my terminal stuff sorted and in its place.
    Not much to it, just some PVC 1x6's and stainless screws with drawer liner underneath to cut down on noise.
    Fished out of it yesterday and I really liked the setup.
    Thanks,
    CR
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    Good job!
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop