Portable Mega Live Mount

I'm building a portable mount to use for my Mega Live like I did for my Mega 360. It is a clamp-on mount using a standard Minn Kota transom clamp with a standard Minn Kota Trolling motor shaft (I believe it is 1 1/16 in diameter). The shaft is threaded on one end.

On my portable Mega 360 mount, I didn't need a handle since it was in a fixed position but I will want a handle on the Mega Live mount so I know which direction it is pointing.

I have attached 2 pictures... One of my completed Mega 360 portable mount and one of my starting Mega Live mount with just the transom mount and shaft.

I'm looking for any clever suggestions on what I can use for a clamp-on, thread-on, or glue-on handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Definitely not clever, but keep it simple. Looks like you are well on your way. Maybe a tethering cable in case you hit one of those pesky stumps. When surfing the net yesterday, I saw a jointed knuckle connection that would work for a steering handle.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I thought about the teather cable with my original Mega 360 setup but I think the power and ethernet cable will be enough of a teather. This will be used to attach to the side of a Jon Boat for an annual Bluegill fishing trip I make. The lake is very shallow (mostly 5 to 8 ft deep) and does have lots of stumps and submerged cypress trunks but it will only be in the water when sitting still near bluegill beds. Since the boat is supplied with the room rental, I'm not sure what I would connect a teather to anyway.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    Not sure what size your shaft is but I have one from a 12v Powerdrive 52" shaft and it is 1 1/8 with a fine thread.(maybe 18 tpi). Might be easier to drill a hole or 2 through the shaft. That is how they attach the head assembly on the trolling motors. There is also a 3/4" hole in the center of the shaft that could be used to help attach a handle. Bob
    Note: I used what they call a latch collar that will screw on the threaded end of the shaft. I used that to prevent the ML from possibly sliding off the pole(just insurance to keep it from getting sliced and diced by the trolling motor a foot or so away). Unlikely but I have the part # for the latch and screw & nut that clamps the collar to the shaft.
    This is all if you have the 1 1/8 shaft! Collar, screw and nut total about $1.75(collar 2301555,screw 2393434 and nut 2303112)
    Last edited by bobcoy; 12-29-2021 at 11:40 AM. Reason: parts note
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm not opposed to drilling some holes. Right now it's just a bare shaft with the fine threads at one end. The shaft measured 1 1/16 by my measurement but it is probably what Minn Kota specs as the 1 1/8 shaft.

Will probably take it to Lowes or Home Depot to see what kind of PVC fittings might work with it.

6. Member
    My caliper says 1 1/8 on the shaft. May be less on the threads. I believe some of the the 24 or 36 volt shafts may be larger. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    My caliper says 1 1/8 on the shaft. May be less on the threads. I believe some of the the 24 or 36 volt shafts may be larger. Bob
    I have a transom 24V 80# Minnkota Traxxis.
    I have a transom bracket and shaft for that model to have a portable transducer mount.
    The shaft is the exact same diameter inside and outside as the 360 and MEGA 360 shafts.

The threaded end of the trolling motor shaft screws into the motor housing and is the same threads that attach the 360 shaft to the pod pointer==same shaft.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Wayne thanks for the info. Do you know if the newer mega transducer models have a larger hole on the inside to accommodate the larger screw in type connectors or are they wired after assembly? Not sure you could buy the shaft separately or not anyway. Bob

Wayne thanks for the info. Do you know if the newer mega transducer models have a larger hole on the inside to accommodate the larger screw in type connectors or are they wired after assembly? Not sure you could buy the shaft separately or not anyway. Bob
    There is no difference in the shafts and why there is no MEGA 360 Fortrex to Ultrex conversion kits that include the longer shaft like there was with the 360. You cannot change the MEGA 360 shaft due to the cable plug sizes.

I got the 360 conversion kit when I changed from the Motor Guide Tour to the Ultrex, but did not need to use the longer shaft. This picture is the 360 and Fortrex shaft on my Ultrex and an additional mount with the conversion kit shaft. I was doing a test fit for dual 360/MEGA 360 before I installed the MEGA 360:

After I installed the MEGA 360:

And then cut the MEGA 360 Ultrex shaft down some so I could lower the motor to have clearance for the MEGA LIVE. This is the cut-off piece with cable protector for the process:

This is the spare Ultrex length shaft with two height collars for a test of a manual pole using the extra Ultrex 360 mount. I used the pod pointer for the direction the LIVE was pointed:

AND this is the Ultrex shaft and the Traxxis shaft:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    I will pick your brain once more here. Have you done any bonding of the tube material? What worked and what did not? Bob

I will pick your brain once more here. Have you done any bonding of the tube material? What worked and what did not? Bob
    No, I have not. Haven't had a reason to do so.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Hey SLYDoggie, not sure if you’ve ever heard of Fish Finder Mounts.com. That gentleman has some really great stuff, including handles. Check him out when you have a free moment, you might find the handle (adjustable) that you’re needing/looking for.

13. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    :I have finished my Mega Live portable mount and wanted to close the loop on this thread I started.

Since I need to be able to easily add and remove the Mega Live to the side of the rental Jon Boat as well as raise it out of the water when traveling from spot to spot, the Minn Kota Trolling Motor Transom Mount works perfectly for that. It's easy to tilt the Transducer up and out of the water when under way. The total cost was under $100 and all the parts are readily available.

I've attached some pictures but basically here is the bill of materials:

• Minn Kota Trolling Motor Transom Mount
    • Minn Kota Trolling Motor Shaft (they come in a variety of lengths)
    • Minn Kota Shaft Stop & Knob
    • 1 1/4 inch plain to 1/2 inch threaded PVC Elbow (the 1 1/4 end is a little larger than the Minn Kota shaft so I attaches it with stainless screws rather than cement)
    • 1/2 inch threaded pipe
    • 1/2 inch End Cap
    • Two Stainless Screws
    • Multi Surface Pipe Cement
    Attached Images Attached Images