Muzzleloader recommendations for a newby

I would like to get into muzzleloader hunting for deer to take advantage of Wisconsin's muzzleloader season but have never owned one or even fired one. Looking for something budget friendly (want to keep the gun and scope under $700 or so) and would like something accurate to 150ish yards if possible.

I would appreciate any recommendations on what to get and where to purchase. Also any tips for shooting, loading, cleaning muzzleloaders etc are appreciated.

I am a lifelong rifle hunter and bow hunter so not new to deer hunting just to muzzleloader hunting.

Thanks!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Member
    I really like my CVAs. Shoot 245gr hollow point powerbelt bullets using 150gr pyrodex. When sighting in I clean the barrel after every third round. Most target ranges here only go out to 100yds, and unless you're hunting an open field, most shots will be at, or under, that range. I wouldn't hesitate taking a longer shot if ever presented though. Should be a ton of YouTube videos available to get you started. Good luck!!

3. Member
    Buddy Just got into the game a little last year. Scheels set him up with a CVA accura and vortex scope in the price range your looking. We Did a LOT of shooting with it last winter just for fun and I was impressed with the gun. Break action is a must, much easier to maintain. We would clean every 3-6 shots at the range but by 6 it’s getting really tough to reload. Buy the 50 grain powder pellets and start with two and see from there. Very fun guns to shoot and not hard to get comfortable with. THE GUY PULLING THE TRIGGER SHOULD ALWAYS LOAD THE GUN, plenty of YouTube videos of what to do and not do. Mark your ram rod so you know the round is fully seated every reload.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Take a look here:

Muzzle-loaders.com

CVA, Thompson Center, Traditions all make good ones. I have two T/C Encore muzzleloaders and a CVA Optima muzzleloader pistol. Would recommend stainless over blued. I like shooting Triple 7 pellets just for ease of use. Have killed a ton of deer over the last 30 years with muzzleloaders. Today’s guns and projectiles are light years ahead of the older stuff.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    My first muzzloader was a savage smokeless muzzloader.

I bought a TC renegade last year and I am having tons of fun shooting the traditional style muzzloader. With peep sights it is a tack driver with .54 caliber balls and honestly it is easier to clean than inlines. Just put the breech of the barrel in water and plunge a patch up and down like a syringe plunger.

A cleaning tip I have been using for 20+ years:

Windex original. A few wet patches will clean the dirtiest bore to a mirror shine.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    For $700… CVA Wolf for about $180-200, then spend the rest on glass. Always spend $$ for quality glass, always. The remaining budget should get you in the VX3 range.

Do your regs allow modern muzzleloaders or do they have to be loaded from the muzzle and flintlock or percussion caps?

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Do your regs allow modern muzzleloaders or do they have to be loaded from the muzzle and flintlock or percussion caps?
    In Wisconsin they allow modern muzzleloaders so far I have been looking at the CVA Optima and Traditions buckstalker.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Another vote for CVA. I have an Optima and really like it. Very easy to tear down to which is important for cleaning. It took me several powder-sabot combos. Ended up with 100 grains of White Hots and 200 grn TC sabots. It's amazing how deadly this combo is. My trashed shoulder couldn't take shooting 150 grains of powder and 270-280 grain sabots. It was killing my shoulder. Accurate as heck shooting Scorpions just too much kick.
    Proud Army Dad

11. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Which one takes the plastic preloaded sleeves? Looks like a shotgun .410 shell
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Which one takes the plastic preloaded sleeves? Looks like a shotgun .410 shell
    Traditions Nitrofire

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    Traditions Nitrofire
    Someone at our club has one. My son picked up a used one and asked what it was. I had no idea until the guy told me.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    Traditions Nitrofire
    This. Want one REAL bad!

15. Member
    I have CVA accura 2 good gun!!
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

16. Member
    Nitrofire

17. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have had an old Remington 700 ML for years but definitely checking this one out

Firestick NitroFire | TraditionsFirearms.com

18. Member
    Nitrofire isn't legal in all states, so be sure to look into that.

Here in MO, you can use a .243 AR pistol so alternative methods has become firearms 2.0.

19. Member
    .50 cal T/C Impact stainless W/Nikon 3-9 inline XR scope. Started out shooting 100 gr. Pyrodex pellets pushing a 300gr Nosler Jim Shockey ballistic tip sabot and it shot ok. Spit patch between loadings so you don't have to use a hydraulic press to push the next bullet down the barrel. Bought a powder scale and now shooting Blackhorn 209 @ 70gr weight pushing a Thor 300gr full bore ballistic tip bullet and accuracy is WAY better and you can load all day without cleaning. I was right under your budget with this gun,bought 3 years ago.