What is the best way to mount a Carbon 12 at the helm of a z118

A 12" is too large to flush mount in a 2013 z118. Would need to replace the console plate.

Looked as Bass Boat Technologies. Are there any other options?

2. Member
    Precision Sonar...............

3. Member
    I mounted a 12 live on my Z118. I made a new dash panel out of Aluminum very easy to do. I covered it with that carbon Fiber and it looks great. I think I used the DECK-It mount on the dash and the stock mount that came with the live. I had to put a 1.5" spacer to move back my steering wheel so I had more room. Russell Marine had a sale at some point and I bought their graph mount and replaced the stock Lowrance one. It just looks a bit stronger but the stock one was fine. Its pretty easy to make the dash panel if you can fabricate stuff. Just a jig saw and belt sander is all you need. You also need a large bore hole drill to make holes big enough for the connectors.
    I suggest you make two holes and not one in the center to bring the cable through. I have one hole to the right for my network and NMEA and a hole on the left for the power and 2 transducer.
    All my photos are on my phone so cant post them since I'm on my computer.

4. Member
    Thank you both!

I had thought about making a panel and then getting a dash mount to bolt on. Maybe comes out to about the same cost as a premade one from BBT or Precision (plus I am not sure I have the skills)?

I have heard that a space may be needed. Pics in Precision Sonar webpage don't show one but I will probably have to call and ask.

5. Member
    I got my spacer through BBT. they make a 1",1.5", 2" Im 5'10 and personally I wish I had gone even bigger then the 1.5". being able to push myself back into the seat while driving is a better IMO. My son is over 6' so for him without any spacer was fine and had I not added the graph I wound not have found out that I needed the spacer for a better fit when driving it..
    It was really a fun project making the dash. I also made a new bow plate and put a 12" live on in. Same thing made out of Aluminum.
    Hey did you try Chad Ashmore https://ashmoremarine.com/shop/ols/c...el-replacement

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2phish View Post
    I got my spacer through BBT. they make a 1",1.5", 2" Im 5'10 and personally I wish I had gone even bigger then the 1.5". being able to push myself back into the seat while driving is a better IMO. My son is over 6' so for him without any spacer was fine and had I not added the graph I wound not have found out that I needed the spacer for a better fit when driving it..
    It was really a fun project making the dash. I also made a new bow plate and put a 12" live on in. Same thing made out of Aluminum.
    Hey did you try Chad Ashmore https://ashmoremarine.com/shop/ols/c...el-replacement
    Curious, where are you needing a spacer? I have a Z518c with a BBT dash plate and a 12 live mounted to it with no issues. Not understanding what or where a spacer is needed. Not trying to be a jerk here just not seeing the issue.

7. Member
    Esox - the spacer is used to extend the steering column to provide more room between the steering wheel and the graph so your fingers don't hit the graph while driving. Last conversation I had with Percision was it may not be needed if you have tilt steering (which I do not).

I am a bigger guy at 6'2 and need all the space I can get behind the wheel so hoping I won't need one.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
    Esox - the spacer is used to extend the steering column to provide more room between the steering wheel and the graph so your fingers don't hit the graph while driving. Last conversation I had with Percision was it may not be needed if you have tilt steering (which I do not).

I am a bigger guy at 6'2 and need all the space I can get behind the wheel so hoping I won't need one.
    Ok, thanks, I'm 6'1" and do have a tilt wheel.

9. Member
    You will definitely need a bit of a spacer as it will be close to the graph for your fingers. But mount it first and see. I think if I remember without it was like a 1/2" but also I mounter my graph as low as possible but not low enough to have the wheel blocking it. The very bottom of the bezel is in front of the wheel. I will log on my phone and try to post some photos however its raining here so might be tomorrow with the unit mounted to show you.

10. Member
    Thank you guys. I talked to Jordan at Precision Sonar and placed an order with him. Ordered the mount with the angled brackets - raises the placement of the graph 1" over the standard brackets so we will see how it fits. Got 6.5 inch clearance from plate to steering wheel. Bracket is 4" - probably going to need the spacer as was suggested.

11. Member
    I Put a 16" Live at the console and 16"Live at the bow this year with Precision Sonar. Excellent product.

12. Member
    20220105_213233.jpg20220105_213226.jpg

Not sure why pics are rotated but I did the installation with the Precision Sonar mount. Seems to fit just fine with the angled arms. Got enough room for my fingers to clear between the steering wheel and the graph.

Seems like a quality built product.

I traded them for short brackets so the graph sits closer to the console. A pain when I have to remove it but that way I don’t have to run a wheel spacer
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

14. Member
    I went with a BBT mount for my Helix 12 on my 118. After mounting I decided not to add the spacer. I have the tilt steering wheel and have never adjusted out of the lowest position. There is enough clearance in that position but not if you want to move it any higher.

15. Member
    zero_cool

You Can Make Your Own Here Is What I Did IMG_4891.jpgIMG_4890.jpg

2022 Ranger Z519L
    2019 Ranger 620 FS
    2008 Ranger Z21
    1996 Ranger 461VS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Precision Sonar...............
    That's what I just did.... has to get a spacer for steering wheel but that was easy

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qwkdraw21 View Post
    zero_cool

You Can Make Your Own Here Is What I Did IMG_4891.jpgIMG_4890.jpg
    That looks sharp. I have some mechanical ability but nothing like that.

Was/is worth the peace of mind to have the Precision Sonar guys do the fab work.

18. Member
    Zero Cool,
    I Do All My Own Fab Work I Only Bought The Shorty Bracket From BBT

2022 Ranger Z519L
    2019 Ranger 620 FS
    2008 Ranger Z21
    1996 Ranger 461VS