Thread: 2009 HPDI 200

2009 HPDI 200

I bought the boat last month and it had 80 hours and the computer didn’t read any bad codes. Yes, 80 hours in 10 years, 50 at idle. The boat idles rough in neutral and in gear. The boat jumps out of the hole and runs great all but at idling.

My mechanic changed two filters. It still idles poorly and shakes. Any ideas? Local marina is 3-4 weeks out plus part ordering.

It’s as if it’s not getting fuel. I have to stay in the throttle to keep it running.

Boat runs great at top end.
    Last edited by Tshort4113; 12-28-2021 at 03:05 PM.

2. Member
    My recommendation is assuming an '09 is similar to an '05.

There is a lot more than 2 filters that should be changed in this scenario in my opinion. There is the filter unit in the boat's bilge, then the filter in the clear globe, followed by a filter in the VST tank, immediately followed by a filter in line. These are all must change IMO. The "mystery filters" (injector basket type filters) are a good idea as well. The low pressure diaphragm pumps are also a big suspect in my mind. Many treat them like a consumable item (changing them and tossing old ones with filter changes). It would make sense to me for these to be the culprit. Then see how things go. An injector service wouldn't be a bad thing to consider either at this point.

3. Member
    I am following this thread as I purchased a low hour 05 250 hpdi in October. It idles rough but runs out like new. Drained fuel tank first.Then replaced fuel line to water separator,new filter there and metal filter as well as primer bulb. New plugs also.
    I have not checked low pressure pumps yet. Believe this could be my problem as motor seemed to smoke excessively after sitting while fishing a couple hours.
    I have owned same motor before and it idled nothing like this one.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pantherdad View Post
    I am following this thread as I purchased a low hour 05 250 hpdi in October. It idles rough but runs out like new. Drained fuel tank first.Then replaced fuel line to water separator,new filter there and metal filter as well as primer bulb. New plugs also.
    I have not checked low pressure pumps yet. Believe this could be my problem as motor seemed to smoke excessively after sitting while fishing a couple hours.
    I have owned same motor before and it idled nothing like this one.
    I am not a mechanic, but from my research and experience, the low pressure pumps seem like a really good thing to try. They are cheap, easy to replace, and have fixed many a person's issues.

5. Member
    if it is idling in neutral it is only running on 4 cylinders it doesnt engage the other 2 until shifter is moved.