Anyone have aerial photos or navigation advice for Lake Marion/Moultrie

Hi everyone just recently started fishing small areas of Lake Marion. I usually use the Harvin ramp at Wyboo and have been out to the edge of big water but not sure what is safe and not safe out there. I think their are channel markers to follow but I wanted to get some advice on places to watch for. Also at what marker number does the channel cross the lake to the south side? Thanks for any advice

Re: Anyone have aerial photos or navigation advice for Lak ... (kehi66)

Kevin,
    My best advice would be to get a colored GPS unit that will accept a Navionics chip. The reason for the color is it will show the deeper water as white and a general rule is stay in the white when you run on plane. If you get into the blue colored stuff idle until you feel your way around. The middle of Marion is loaded with standing timber so you will need to run the markers in the middle of the lake. If you come out of Wyboo and make a right at the markers and run them towards Taw Caw you cannot miss the cut across as it is well marked. Just about any good Santee map will show you this plain as day. You can also run the levy down the the lower lake as well if that is what you are looking for. Once you hit the damn take a 45 degree angle towards the channel markers and it will drop you into the Diversion Canal. Santee is a dangerous lake to navigate so just take you time and idle if you feel un-comfortable until you feel your way around.

I normally fish the lower lake but do spend some time on the southern side of Marion from Eutaw Creek to Crappie Neck.
    "I don't fish for a living, I live to fish!!!"

3. Member

Re: Anyone have aerial photos or navigation advice for Lak ... (BigCheese)

I was there a couple of weeks ago with someone who knew his way around. He ran the north side of the lake WOT about 100 yards or so off the bank all the way to I95 bridge( the small one on the North side) then followed the channel markers. My understanding is the only way to cross Marion safely is to follow the channel markers. I have the "Fishing Hot Spots" detailed map plus the the colored GPS w/Nabionics chip. I would think you would want both, GPS and map.

Jimmy Easterling
    Barnwell, SC

2009 Nitro Z7, Dual Concole, 200 Optimax, 25P Fury, 5.5\" Jackplate and 2\" Spacers.

4. Member
    That is the reason I have not fished the big lakes. I don't know how to run them. I guess I need to go out with somebody to show me. I am not a deep water fisherman. I would like to know some areas that are not to much trouble to get to.

5. Member

Re: (PRKRANGER2)

For the next couple of week I plan to continue learning Lake Murray then move on the Marion. I fish alone most of the time, you are welcome to explore with me when I go. Do you have gps on your boat?

Jimmy Easterling
    Barnwell, SC

2009 Nitro Z7, Dual Concole, 200 Optimax, 25P Fury, 5.5\" Jackplate and 2\" Spacers.

Re: (JimmyE)

I hate to direct you to another sit but check out http://www.sclakes.com. Go to Santee. this link may get you there. http://www.sclakes.com/forums/...55935 Look for Rude Crew on there. He has some of the best aerials that were taken when the water was low. It will scare you to know what's under the water in these 2 lakes. With the water up you are pretty safe to run most areas but like you stated you better know the safe areas. following the channel markers is time consuming and we all try to save a few mins here and there during the tourney's.

Sumter Basser
    <"(((((((>< Quit Wishing and go Fishing. ><)))))))">

7. Member
    I know it has been a long time, but if anyone has a copy of the aerial photos I sure could use them. Headed to Lake Marion in early April and I don't know much about the lake other than go slow.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Ten years is a long time. Contact Inky Davis or try google maps.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfish View Post
    I know it has been a long time, but if anyone has a copy of the aerial photos I sure could use them. Headed to Lake Marion in early April and I don't know much about the lake other than go slow.
    Harold Truesdale from Manning,S.C. Is a professional photographer & has his own airplane.When the lakes were down 10’ (average depth of both lakes is only 15’)in 2007,he took photos of both lakes from his plane.I think there are 90 8x10 color photo in a set.He was getting $100.00 a set back then,not sure how much now.I just talked to Harold,he said he was not printing the photos anymore, but said he will sell a cd with all the photos (96 to 98 photos) for $100.00 per cd.If interested,pm me for his phone number.
    Inky

10. Member
    might be too late to help you, but do not trust the navigation route charted north of the I95, especially the "charted area" that runs east west just north of the bridge. If you follow into those markers, you end up in a mine field. You are honestly better off taking err nice and easy running 150 yards off of the western shore and marking a clean line which can take you all the way up to stumphole if you simply avoid the fish attractors.

Navigation in the charted drive line to the east and north of Santee State park is good if you follow the markers tightly, but not too tightly. You go too close you end up in the stumps, you go to far you end up in the stumps, i wouldnt recommend it without a chartplotter and navionics.

Also to the southeast of stumphole landing (If you were travelling from the state park to stumphole landing...3/4 of the way to stumphole landing) you can get into the navigation channel easily when at full pool. Take it easy though as you approach the navigation channel. There is an underwater wall that from what a local told me, he has seen people end up wedged on when the lake is low.

Best bet is to run you first pass very slow, chart your line and then follow it exactly. If you can find a local that will let you follow them, do it, and dont vary from their course, 20 yards to either side you can typically end up in a heck of a lot of trouble.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    Harold Truesdale from Manning,S.C. Is a professional photographer & has his own airplane.When the lakes were down 10’ (average depth of both lakes is only 15’)in 2007,he took photos of both lakes from his plane.I think there are 90 8x10 color photo in a set.He was getting $100.00 a set back then,not sure how much now.I just talked to Harold,he said he was not printing the photos anymore, but said he will sell a cd with all the photos (96 to 98 photos) for $100.00 per cd.If interested,pm me for his phone number.
    Inky
    Inky, sent you a pm.