Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mega Live freezing Helix!?

Just installed Mega Live, when running Live it will freeze my Helix 12 unit which requires unplugging to reset. Have several other buddies that are having same issue. Any insight on what’s causing this or fixes?? Thanks

2. Member
    I've read on this forum and some FB groups that it can happen if you haven't gone through the Mega Live install menu on the control head and set the install water depth and other settings. I've also seen posts that if you run the Mega Live with all the "auto" settings it can freeze as well. I've also seen a post where a possible fix is coming but it was stated only for Solix which seems a little suspect. My Helix 12 G4N was always freezing up with my Mega 360 until the 2.66 update and now the unit doesn't freeze but the Mega 360 will stop for a few seconds and then start working again. My theory is it's a problem with the units along with the network box. I would call HB and let them know at the very least.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

3. Member
    Follow up… talked to Humminbird and even got a hold of somebody that actually knew something. They are aware of the issue and are working on an update which will be out in a couple of months. I let them know that it was bullshit that I run 15k worth of their products (which we wait a year for every time) and it’s a dumpster fire to get the shit to work!

4. Member
    Mine does the same thing on my 12, a buddy just installed his and it freezes his 12 also. but if he runs live on his helix 9 it never freezes.

Sorry for your issues

You would think they could have figured it out by now

They announced it a year ago and you can bet they had been working on it long before that

but most blame the delay on supply chain issues?

but now they think they can solve the issue in a month or two?

Their software has more bugs than a detroit crack house
    "The handicapped angler"

I purchased it and it continuously froze my Helix 12. I returned it and got my money back.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    This is why I'm waiting to make the purchase. I truly believe m-live will be just as good or better than the others but it's going to take some time for HB to sort all the issues out. Looking like I'm holding off another couple months.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Their software has more bugs than a detroit crack house
    Now that's Funny right there, but true!

9. Member
    The freezing issues on my helix G1’s and G2 were never fixed in updates. So don’t hold your breath.

I think a lot of the problem is in the network adapter box
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jag9624 View Post
    I think a lot of the problem is in the network adapter box
    I took the network box out of the picture and connected it directly to the helix 12 gen 3 and it still freezes.

12. Member
    Has anyone figured out a fix for this?

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy1 View Post
    Has anyone figured out a fix for this?
    Read post #3.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

When I first installed mine, it would constantly freeze up my Helix unit. I checked all the power wires and found what looked like a weak power connection on my ethernet hub. I redid those wires and so far so good in the last three trips. As sort of a pressure test, I left it on 100% of the time the TM is in the water. Also running M360 at the same time.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

15. Member
    Only had mine out a few times helix 9 gen 4 freezes up only way to fix is like others have said unplug unit wait and start back up ����*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I've read on this forum and some FB groups that it can happen if you haven't gone through the Mega Live install menu on the control head and set the install water depth and other settings. I've also seen posts that if you run the Mega Live with all the "auto" settings it can freeze as well. I've also seen a post where a possible fix is coming but it was stated only for Solix which seems a little suspect. My Helix 12 G4N was always freezing up with my Mega 360 until the 2.66 update and now the unit doesn't freeze but the Mega 360 will stop for a few seconds and then start working again. My theory is it's a problem with the units along with the network box. I would call HB and let them know at the very least.
    Did not work on mine, tried everything that I could including going thru the setup / install menu (actually seemed to make the problem worse ) and it would still freeze sometimes every three to six min,, half a day wasted messing with unplugging and plugging back up,,, pulled off and sold,,,,,,, I dont have the resolve to deal with this and hope an update fixes the problem ,,, love my birds but they screwed the pooch on this mess
    But with all that said , when it was working I had some really good images , found and chased a lot of fish I could not catch ,, and I figured out that this style of fishing is not for me so not a total loss,,,
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 01-19-2022 at 10:14 AM.

17. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Read post #3.

there is a ML update

one needs to ask for a download link

18. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    humminbird has admitted to me the problem is primarily when used w/helix DI+ unit...

19. Member
    I really fought with megalive the first time using it. I have 4 Helix units and 2 ethernet hubs. 2 gen2 & 2 gen3 Helix, TM ipilot, etc.
    The megalive screen was blank/inactive on the gen3's and my gen2 units were locking up.
    What finally seemed to get it under control was only having one Helix(gen3) powered up initially. When everything appeared to work I powered up the second gen3 unit. So far so good. An hour or so after I powered up another gen2 unit, then finally the 4th gen2 unit sometime later still.
    Fast forward a few trips out and I can now power everything up together like usual with no hiccups.
    I'm guessing it was due to network overload and having older/slower gen2 units in the mix until configurations took hold.
    I was a bit apprehensive having two different software versions mixed between the gen2 & gen3 but no issues.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    I really fought with megalive the first time using it. I have 4 Helix units and 2 ethernet hubs. 2 gen2 & 2 gen3 Helix, TM ipilot, etc.
    The megalive screen was blank/inactive on the gen3's and my gen2 units were locking up.
    What finally seemed to get it under control was only having one Helix(gen3) powered up initially. When everything appeared to work I powered up the second gen3 unit. So far so good. An hour or so after I powered up another gen2 unit, then finally the 4th gen2 unit sometime later still.
    Fast forward a few trips out and I can now power everything up together like usual with no hiccups.
    I'm guessing it was due to network overload and having older/slower gen2 units in the mix until configurations took hold.
    I was a bit apprehensive having two different software versions mixed between the gen2 & gen3 but no issues.

Did any of your units freeze up where you had to unplug the power to get them to restart?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast