Muddy water 2.5 Square bill style choices??

Lakes been super muddied up recently and my crank bite has slowed a little, thinking of upsizing to help the fish locate the bait better.. I’ve used the kvd2.5 in the past but wondering if there’s anything out there today that shines above the rest as far as 2.5 square bills go, preferably with rattles as visibility is little to none. Thanks !

I'm a big fan of those KVD 2.5s. Maybe you're on top of this already, but just in case I will mention that they do make a rattling version of them. The downside is that you have to support the "evil empire" as they are a Bass Pro exclusive.

Another one I've been onto lately after seeing some videos from Frank Scalish fishing it is the Norman Fat Boy, and based on my admittedly limited experience with it this fall, I'm thinking it may start overtaking the KVDs and Lucky Crafts in my box in a lot of situations. Even though they're shorter than a 2.5, they have a bigger profile. They also have a one-knocker style rattle that I think works really well in dirtier water, and come through cover exceptionally well.

Two minor downsides to the Fat Boy, just so you know what to expect: First, stock hooks need to be replaced. Gamakastsu round bend #4s are the Frank Scalish recommended replacement. I personally don't think this is a huge deal--few cranks come with quality stock hooks, particularly at this price point, and to be honest I'm usually replacing the hooks on KVDs too. Second, they often (not always) need tuned out of the package. They're easy to tune, but I know that some guys just don't like messing around with that, so figured it worth mentioning.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Replacing hooks and tuning are more or less expected for me, or should I say I don’t mind doing either, and prefer to replace hooks with a short shank and go up one size when I can. I did order a couple rattling 2.5’s today but I am interested in the one knocker style mentioned. Thanks man

I've been using those fatboys for about 12 years with great success. I love the red ear and the chartreuse/ Black/ orange
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

5. Member
    Storm Arashi Square 5 is a pretty good square bill. Its 2 3/8" long. Not a ton of colors out there but they do have a nice, Black Chartreuse, Black n Silver Shad, and a couple of Red Craw patterns that work well. Have to shop eBay or the like to get the rattling version though. They dropped the rattling version a while back. They come with large very sharp quality #2 round bend black Nickel VMC hooks I have never had a issue with. I think they are very nice for the money.

The 6th Sense Crush 100x is one of my favorites now. Colors are great, hooks are pretty good right out of box, and haven't had to tune one yet. I'll add another vote for the KVD's and Fat Boys mentioned above too. Have and like both of those as well. Everything else I have is silent, LC's, DT Fats, BX Brats, ect.

7. Member
    Thanks guys, just realized I have one fat boy I picked up at a Walmart six or seven years ago still ha.

I have trouble putting down a Lewis Echo 1.75 squarebill when I’m trying to entice them to bite. They can watch it go by, but when you pause it, and it starts that slow rise, they kill it. I fish them stock, or add slightly bigger split rings to slow the rise even more. The stock hooks work fine for me.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"