Trolling motor interference

Been having trolling motor interference on my graph. It happened on a garmin and lowrance. I have been trying to read all the possibilities to fix this. I started with a dedicated line. Before trying this out, I decided to wrap my transducer cable with 60/40 solder wire from the transducer up past the motor about 6 inches. Bought a gas hose and split it to put the cable in making sure the rubber was against the motor. Taped it up. Took it out today and no interference. I tried this before adding a ground wire. If nothing works for you, give this a try.

2. Member
    Great test feedback. I know this will helps many as this topic surfaces from time to time. Thank you for posting. Heck the rubber gas hose provides more protection to the transducer cable.

Quote Originally Posted by dwheeler1665 View Post
    Been having trolling motor interference on my graph. It happened on a garmin and lowrance. I have been trying to read all the possibilities to fix this. I started with a dedicated line. Before trying this out, I decided to wrap my transducer cable with 60/40 solder wire from the transducer up past the motor about 6 inches. Bought a gas hose and split it to put the cable in making sure the rubber was against the motor. Taped it up. Took it out today and no interference. I tried this before adding a ground wire. If nothing works for you, give this a try.

3. Member
    could you post photos please. Are we assuming that most of the interference issue it around the metal head unit of the motor itself and by wrapping your solder around the trandsucer cable you have created a better shielded cable? There are braided weave shielding options, would this act the same way and we should be protecting the first inches of our transducer from the housing of the trolling motor

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Protective Faraday shield effect which can be in MK motors provided via the fuse in the head of the TM unless it has blown.......But hopefully recreational boaters trending to widely use toxic lead solder while boating in the waters of our natural fisheries and drinking water sources will not develop.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 12-31-2021 at 05:44 PM.

5. Member
    Beside the lead poisoning a torrid choke on the transducer cable right at the back of your finder might filter it out. Also close proximity of the transducer cable to the power wires of the TM can induce that signal onto the transducer cable. Sometimes just a couple inches separation can do the trick. In fact I once tried to neaten up the cables on the bow using cable ties. I ended up removing the cable ties and the interference almost totally disappeared. That tight binding is just asking for issues. JMO Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 01-01-2022 at 09:16 AM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go