Another tire question.. don't kill me.

Just replaced the tires on my 91 361v less than a year ago.

Yes I bought the cheapest tires I could find but I always have and have always had decent luck with them. Is that my problem here? Cheapo tires? Both wheel bearings feel tight and are quiet. Never had any tire wearing issues before so I don't think anything could be warped or bent... any ideas? Both insides are slick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Your axle or spindles are bent.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    This

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    That's what I assumed, but I just don't know how it happened without some sort of damage. I've owned the boat for a long time and never had this problem until this set.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brady01 View Post
    Just replaced the tires on my 91 361v less than a year ago.

Yes I bought the cheapest tires I could find but I always have and have always had decent luck with them. Is that my problem here? Cheapo tires? Both wheel bearings feel tight and are quiet. Never had any tire wearing issues before so I don't think anything could be warped or bent... any ideas? Both insides are slick.
    I stand corrected though tires are dated 0120 so they were made in the first week of 2020. So its been more than 1 year. Time gets away from ya sometime.

6. Member
    Its a single axle? I think the axle bends with the weight of the boat/engine/gear causing the inner tire wear.

put a strait edge under the axle, look for a gap in the strait edge, with the boat on and then again with the boat off

I had a similar problem with my single axle, I use to run the tires 2 years, then take them to the shop and flip flop them, so id get 4 years out of the tires, PIA
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    Its a single axle? I think the axle bends with the weight of the boat/engine/gear causing the inner tire wear.

put a strait edge under the axle, look for a gap in the strait edge, with the boat on and then again with the boat off

I had a similar problem with my single axle, I use to run the tires 2 years, then take them to the shop and flip flop them, so id get 4 years out of the tires, PIA
    Yeah it's a single axle. That makes sense to me. Maybe it's just getting old. Who knows

Even cheap tires shouldn't wear unevenly like that so fast... It's probably bad enough you can see the tires on an angle from behind.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Something is bent! Pot hole curb who knows at this point. A good frame shop should be able to fix it with out to much trouble since you can still tow it. But find a good one.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Member
    The trailer is 30 years old and and probably a little tired and road weary.

Throw a new axle assembly (maybe with a little higher load rating) with new bearings and seals and maybe some new springs.

Money well spent if the rest of the trailer is in good shape

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    The trailer is 30 years old and and probably a little tired and road weary.

Throw a new axle assembly (maybe with a little higher load rating) with new bearings and seals and maybe some new springs.

Money well spent if the rest of the trailer is in good shape
    Not a bad idea.

Is the wear completely around the inside edge of the tire ? Had one this year with similar wear on half the tire. Problem was a broken belt inside the tire. Did axle measurements to check being square on the trailer, used level to check toe on good tire side,vs worn tire. Axles are good, just the tire. Went to Goodyear Endurance, no issues with wear.

Check for wear on the Spring Hangers and Shackles.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post

I think that would just tilt the load ever so slightly.

15. Member
    Have you changed vehicles? Is your hitch at the correct height, towing / pulling the boat level down the road? It’s that or a bent axle.

Ball height wont wear tires.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

18. Member
    Mine was wearing like that.Ditched the C rated tires forDs .Put new bearings ,seals,rotors,calipers and spring bushings .Its wearing normal.Spring bushings were gone and springs were sloppy.

As long as the center bolt on the springs isn't broken and the axle is tracking straight, there shouldn't be any abnormal tire wear unless the axle is bent(camber). Axles can be bent. I've replaced my fair share of 8000+ axles that were bent by dropping off into holes when the trailer was loaded to max capacity. Boat trailer axles are nowhere near as strong as equipment trailer axles.

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    This ^
    You probably have a single axel trailer, correct? Shackle bushings wear out and the shackle bolt is egging out the hanger hole. Does your trailer seem to bounce, and the tires come off the road some over bumps? If so, I bet this is the issue.
    If so, drill out the hole to 3/4'' and use a bronze bushing, 3/4 OSD / 9/16 ISD
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.