Gas gauge stuck on Full

I bought a 2008 20x2 in May of this year. When I first got it, the gas gauge seemed to work ok, but showed more gas than what was really in the tank. But it moved up and down with filling/using fuel. Now after filling it the last time, it’s stuck on full all the time. Even when the boat is powered off, the needles stays on F and I thought when it worked properly, it went to E when shut off and upon turning the key it would jump up to the correct position.

Any tips on where to look to start troubleshooting this?

2. Member
    I'm learning this as I go , I'm re-doing mine.

Pull the sending wires off the back of the gauge, might be a plug, mine is hot pink for the fuel sending unit, blue and black are the back lighting, the gauge should drop to E, if so it's most likely the gauge. Mine is a combo gauge speedo and fuel, speedo is broken, fuel worked when removed.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXLTRP View Post
    I'm learning this as I go , I'm re-doing mine.

Pull the sending wires off the back of the gauge, might be a plug, mine is hot pink for the fuel sending unit, blue and black are the back lighting, the gauge should drop to E, if so it's most likely the gauge. Mine is a combo gauge speedo and fuel, speedo is broken, fuel worked when removed.
    Thanks for the input. Mine is a speedo/fuel combo too. Speedo doesn’t work either, but figured that was from a blocked water line. I just pulled the plug off the back of the gauge and the fuel needle is still stuck where it has been. Does this confirm that it’s my gauge that’s faulty?

4. Member
    I'd say the gauge is done. With out a signal/ electricity from the sending unit it should fall to E.