Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianf. View Post
    My Ranger is a 2003 model. Does it have a few ‘issues’? Yes, but it looks and fishes just fine. Get lots of compliments on the rig even today. I love the boat and feel attached to it. Yet, acquaintances and buddies of mine are up-grading their rigs every year or two or three. I never understood that, given the money outlay required and the time/effort to rig it just how they want - only to sell it once everything gets done to their liking.

Everyone is different, I get that, but curious what drove you newer boat owners to up-grade your rig when the rig you sold looked and performed great.
    My smart arse answer, ' Because I can " lol. I just like having new stuff, I get a new boat and truck about every other year, is it a smart move ? Heck i don't know, you only live once, cannot take it with you, etc.

2. Member
    I'm close to that but will also add, my dealer was retiring and I bought the last boat he sold. I knew he would look after me and rig it the way I wanted.

3. Member
    I bought a 2021 Caymas in September 2020 with the intention of keeping it for at least a few years. However, due to Covid and the opportunity to work from home, I put 190 hours on my boat in a year. I decided to trade it in now as I was afraid I would get beat up on trade in a few years.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

4. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    I ask that question all the time, until I go over 90mph
    Mine will only do 67 loaded. . . I still have never caught a fish much over 5mph

I get a new truck every 3 years or so but they wear out. I have a 2002 Ranger that I bought new and it hasn't worn out yet. Would love a new boat but it would float and fish just like my 2002. So I will just keep it and buy new trucks

6. Member
    When I bought my Hydrasport I loved it, 13 years later I still loved it, but I love to go fast also. About 4 years into owning my Hydrasport I learned about the fast hulls like Allison's and Bullets. It took about 10 years to take the plunge and I'm glad I did. I have the best of both worlds, the boat fishes great and will go faster than I can drive it.

I bought a new Ranger 519 in '99, with a 225 EFI Merc. It was 20'6" and all I needed. I told my wife it's all I'll ever need, and I meant that. Quite by accident a customer came to the dealership and completely described it down to the color. He bought my baby! After that I bought a '99 518/200 'Rude. A guy from FL. wanted it worse than I did so he bought it with maybe 18 hours on it. Next boat was an '06 Legend LE21/300 HPDI, the first Legend in KY. One Sat. I had it hooked to my truck, headed to Dale after work. A guy and his wife wanted it worse that I did. He paid me more than I gave for it...next was an '03 21XDC that I dearly loved, it went to TN. In my line of work I just can't be married to a boat. I'm BBT now and probably going to stay that way...

(606)305-1956

8. Member
    it's excess money I'm guessing so, why not. Change is good
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

9. Member
    My opinion is it might have something to do with how you were raised. I was raised by depression era parents, they never bought anything new till the old was not feasible to fix. I have a 99 boat, a 99 yukon and a 07 silverado.

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    My opinion is it might have something to do with how you were raised. I was raised by depression era parents, they never bought anything new till the old was not feasible to fix. I have a 99 boat, a 99 yukon and a 07 silverado.
    Have to agree I have a 1990 Ranger and a 2003 Tahoe both work for me ,I often dream of having new but mine work just fine and catch fish too they don't know what your in .I'm still proud of my Ranger she still looks great and people can't believe it's that old when they see her...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    Na, I grew up poor, did not have all the new toys like many of my friends had, now i do. One way to look at it, if nobody bought new stuff there would not be any jobs or any used boats on the market for all the responsible guys to buy.

I always wanted a Ranger. Sold the other brand and finally stepped up to a Ranger. Glad I did, solid boat, love it!

13. Member
    A lot of my boats were on promotional deals over the years. I typically bought and sold before the two year point. That took lots of time with dealers, tournaments, and upkeep. These days I buy what will fit in the garage and doesn’t require an insane amount of time keeping it up.

Be happy folks still trade every few years keeping a steady diet of good used rigs on the market.

14. Member
    Last year I sold my 2005 Ranger 521VX (best hull Ranger ever made) to buy a new 2020 Z521C. Both are beautiful boats and no one would be able to see a $50K difference between the two. Yes, I could have kept the old boat and fixed up all the remaining little things that annoyed me, but I'd rather spend my time and efforts on the water. This is most likely my last boat and I have no regrets about making the swap.
    2020 Ranger Z521C, 2019 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke
    2016 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat
    Winona Lake, IN

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    i have thought about a new boat many times, but I love my old boat and it works fine. I was more interested in paying off my house, educating my children, and making sure I had plenty of money for retirement. Now that I've done all those things, I could buy a new one if I wanted to, but a new boat won't do anything that I can't do now so it would be a waste of money. I will continue to upgrade the accessories and electronics, but a new boat doesn't make sense for me. I've come to the conclusion that our economy is very dependent on people spending more than they can afford to spend but I choose not to.
    Well said.

16. Member
    I found and bought a 2004 185VS Ranger with a 150 Optimax with less than 200 hrs on it. Was able to pay Cash and not have a Payment that I was looking at, used my "down payment" to buy the Boat outright.

Did upgrade the Electronics but that's about it. It has way more wear now then when I bought it in 2016 but I use it to fish and not to win a Beauty Contest. Not abused by any means but some Brush Scratches and such. Keep up with all the PM.

Really was thinking about another boat after several friends bought new Nitro Z18's but the wife asked my "why, you already got a great boat", and she is right. So remodeled the entire house instead.

In 5 years our Mortgage will be done and if I still want another boat maybe then. Or maybe not. See where Life takes us then.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianf. View Post
    ... Everyone is different, I get that, but curious what drove you newer boat owners to up-grade your rig when the rig you sold looked and performed great.
    I'm 49 and on bass boat #7 (2019 Phoenix 921). Bass boat #6 was a 2011 Phoenix 721, #5 a 2005 Skeeter ZX200, #4 a 2001 Ranger 520, etc... All of them were in good to great shape when I decided to purchase the next one. I like motors with warranty and I like to spend time fishing out of a boat, not fixing it. In my experience the older they get, the more time I spend fixing and the less time I spend fishing. Oh yeah, and I like shiny new things as well!

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    98 Sprint with 03 Evinrude 250...Bought The rig in 03 with 225...love the layout of the rig and has given me no problems.....takes on no water....many upgrades including the ulterra troller. Semi retired so I see no need for a newer rig.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    98 Sprint with 03 Evinrude 250...Bought The rig in 03 with 225...love the layout of the rig and has given me no problems.....takes on no water....many upgrades including the ulterra troller. Semi retired so I see no need for a newer rig.
    Always liked the layout of that 207 myself.

20. Member
    Wanted a better boat in rough water

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast