Thread: Stock research

Loser

Question Stock research

If you only had 1 paid subscription to a service, which one would you pick? A lot of choices between Fool, Seeking Alpha, Yahoo Finance, IBD, ect. I'm leaning towards a Yahoo subscription for information. It seems you can find free info but it can be time consuming.
    Can you get enough info that is provided say from an ETRADE acct?

Thanks all have a great Monday.
    "There is nothing more free, than one who has nothing to lose"

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I don't pay for anything, but If I did it would be The wall st journal. Always assume that the writer of any stock research has financial motivation. Assume they need to convince you to buy their stock that they are underwater in.

The problem with paying for research is that you will agree with the writer, because you have invested in the research. You will always start with a bias and will never spend the time to disprove the research. Even though the research could be deeply flawed. For example, I am constantly seeing "researchers", or stock gurus get basic things wrong when analyzing $TSLA. They like to point out a decline in sales in Europe every quarter without mentioning that European sales only happen in batches because they are imports from China, and that giga Berlin is not producing yet. So, you'll have one month of good sales, and then the next 3 months are always declining. There wasn't a stock guru who didn't think TSLA was going bankrupt 3 years ago. How could so many get one stock so wrong?

In my case, I have lost way more money than made when listening to stock researchers.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Maybe take a look at MorningStar
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

4. Member
    You open up the link below, read the last filed report (currently 3rd quarter) and buy what they own.
    At that point, you're done in 20-30 minutes and you have three months to enjoy fishing and naps.

https://berkshirehathaway.com/reports.html

5. Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    You open up the link below, read the last filed report (currently 3rd quarter) and buy what they own.
    At that point, you're done in 20-30 minutes and you have three months to enjoy fishing and naps.

That has crossed my mind. Invest where others are.
    I'm probably going in too deep, but it's education and I like learning.

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post

If you're going to do that why not just buy BRKB
    Thanos was the hero

7. Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I don't pay for anything, but If I did it would be The wall st journal. Always assume that the writer of any stock research has financial motivation. Assume they need to convince you to buy their stock that they are underwater in.

The problem with paying for research is that you will agree with the writer, because you have invested in the research. You will always start with a bias and will never spend the time to disprove the research. Even though the research could be deeply flawed. For example, I am constantly seeing "researchers", or stock gurus get basic things wrong when analyzing $TSLA. They like to point out a decline in sales in Europe every quarter without mentioning that European sales only happen in batches because they are imports from China, and that giga Berlin is not producing yet. So, you'll have one month of good sales, and then the next 3 months are always declining. There wasn't a stock guru who didn't think TSLA was going bankrupt 3 years ago. How could so many get one stock so wrong?

In my case, I have lost way more money than made when listening to stock researchers.
    Great info. I'm the type that will listen, but I'll verify before acting. So, I want to be able to do my own analysis on a stock.that I "was told" is hot.
    An example, is using alpha and beta. Had no idea what they were yesterday, but I do now. I don't know anything but I know enough not to buy stock cause someone said so. I learned that lesson betting on the horses. LOL

8. Member
    Don't pay for research. Pay for something that helps you do your own research to make your own decisions..

9. Member
    I like the research on various stocks etc. I get with a TD Ameritrade account. I can see various opinions from multiple firms for each pick.

10. Member
    I've been using Trade for 20 plus years. I don't believe they give enough advice on any one investment for me to trade without further research on my part. I say the same thing about investment news letters. I do subscribe to one and take their trade recommendations into consideration. I do believe these investment subscriptions live and die by their recommendations. I like their research they do and some comparisons they make. I do not just trade because of their recommendations. It's been a good year for my portfolio.Wishing you all a happy healthy and growing portfolio for 2022.

11. idbefishing
    2022 starting rough so far