Thread: Setback

Setback

Posted in the Jack Plate forum, maybe I get some more hits here

I have a 5" setback manual jackplate on my 2001 Tracker 185 XT boat at the present time and I guess for general purposes it works. I have set it so the runs as good as it can with the 2002 90 HP Mercury 2 stroke - w/4 blade 19 P X7 prop.. I am looking into putting a new Bob's hydraulic jackplate on it in a few weeks, and the question I have before I fork over the money on the same setback is this - is there any rule or place I can look to find out what the proper setback distance it for any given type of boat and motor setup? I am looking to see why one boat uses a 6" setback while a different boat would use a 12" setback, if there even is some information. Or is it just personal preference? Any information will be greatly appreciated. I just would hate to buy another 5" if I really need a 10" or whatever. How did you guys decide what you put on yours, assuming your boat didn't come with it already on it....

2. Member
    1.First a pad hull will benefit the most from a JP
    2.Second it pointless to run a JP w/a motor that
    doesn't have a low water pickup.
    3.A hydraulic plate is expensive plus they are heavy.
    Save your money and spend it on gas.
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

I run a 6" hydro jack plate on my Classic XL. It helps quite considerably for my application. Anything over 4-6" on these Trackers is overkill and increases the weight that is on the jackplate due to the amount of material being used. I could only imagine how much more it would perform if the boat had a pad hull, but it still causes a notable difference without a doubt.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    I run a 6" hydro jack plate on my Classic XL. It helps quite considerably for my application. Anything over 4-6" on these Trackers is overkill and increases the weight that is on the jackplate due to the amount of material being used. I could only imagine how much more it would perform if the boat had a pad hull, but it still causes a notable difference without a doubt.
    I run a Fisher Pro Hawk 180 with a 115 Merc, essentially the exact same boat as Brother Larry. I rarely disagree with him, but, my 6" CMC hydraulic has been a true game changer. Only a 2 or 3 mph speed increase, but, man, has it helped to clean up the ride characteristics. Plus I can run er' way shallower. I did add over +/- 350# to her during my renovation, so that changed the way the boat runs, perhaps that is why the plate helped so much.....but it has made an incredible difference.

5. Member
    I ran a 5" plate on my TV18 with a 90 with no positive
    results. The only thing that changed was it elevated the bow
    while I was fishing. I Next put a new 125 Mercury on a 6"Rapid Jack,
    which I filled w/blue foam. This floats the stern higher thus
    pushing the bow down while fishing. The 125 is geared higher
    than the 90, thus loosing a good hole shot. I switched from my
    20" LazerII to a 19"X7 to get my hole shot back. The X7 would only
    run 47 where the Lazer II ran 49. The only result was improved handling.
    W/O a low water pickup gear case, you cant run high enough IMHO
    to benefit from the JP. 5.5 inches below is as high as I could run w/o
    loosing water pressure. I'm in the process of restoring another TV 18 and
    will not put a plate on it. Your mileage may vary. LDS

Last edited by Great Scott; 12-28-2021 at 09:07 AM.

UHD 93SV at the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    I run a Fisher Pro Hawk 180 with a 115 Merc, essentially the exact same boat as Brother Larry. I rarely disagree with him, but, my 6" CMC hydraulic has been a true game changer. Only a 2 or 3 mph speed increase, but, man, has it helped to clean up the ride characteristics. Plus I can run er' way shallower. I did add over +/- 350# to her during my renovation, so that changed the way the boat runs, perhaps that is why the plate helped so much.....but it has made an incredible difference.
    I have went near top to bottom during my ownership of my boat and the plate has helped the ride characteristics considerably as well. I only gained maybe 1-2 mph on mine, it's hard to tell since during the time I was raising the motor, changing props, upping horsepower and adding a hydrofoil, but damn does it run like a dream on the water and handles everything that comes it's way like a champ now.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post

Well, I TRIED not to argue with you, but, I guess here goes.....

I COMPLETELY tore down my boat, to the hull (and have the pics to prove it) so I know a bit about these boats. I have no idea how many hours of due diligence I put in before 350+ hours of renovation.....the vast, vast majority 100% by yours truly. I'm by NO means saying I know more than you Mr. Scott or that I'm the quintessential expert on these hulls, but, I can hold my own.

Now. With all of that stated, my 6" CMC hydraulic jackplate GREATLY improved my boat. However, as "extreme" stated, I cannot state definitively if it was the combo of the prop (21 pitch SS 3 blade TP), the small whale tall, or the jackplate that made the biggest OVERALL difference in handling, hole shot, or speed. I can tell you the jackplate, without question, made the biggest difference in the ride.....THAT is inarguable.

Now, my boat, like yours, is a bit over 1,100 pounds empty. I added N of 300#'s to mine via a substantial deck extension, Ultrex, 2 additional series 31 batteries, etc. So now she weighs +/- 1400 pounds before tackle, etc. Perhaps that's why my boat responded to the jackplate and yours didn't??

Also, there's VERY lil difference between our hulls as the V18 was SUPPOSEDLY developed directly from the PH (via Clunn, Morris). However, perhaps there IS a slight difference and that's the reason??

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue as I respect your opinion. I learned a quite a bit from your past posts about your experiences with the V18 when I was doing my research. They were certainly a part of why I searched for this hull and a good one to renovate. Through my searching I found out about the Fisher being, more or less, interchangeable and that's why I added that hull to my search.

So please don't take my opinion as some kind of diss of yours.....it's not. It's obvious my experience with my hull and a hydraulic jackplate has been very different than yours. Fair enough.....no harm, no foul.

8. Member
    No issues with your success. Your experiments worked mine didn't.
    LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.

Well, I TRIED not to argue with you, but, I guess here goes.....

I COMPLETELY tore down my boat, to the hull (and have the pics to prove it) so I know a bit about these boats. I have no idea how many hours of due diligence I put in before 350+ hours of renovation.....the vast, vast majority 100% by yours truly. I'm by NO means saying I know more than you Mr. Scott or that I'm the quintessential expert on these hulls, but, I can hold my own.

Now. With all of that stated, my 6" CMC hydraulic jackplate GREATLY improved my boat. However, as "extreme" stated, I cannot state definitively if it was the combo of the prop (21 pitch SS 3 blade TP), the small whale tall, or the jackplate that made the biggest OVERALL difference in handling, hole shot, or speed. I can tell you the jackplate, without question, made the biggest difference in the ride.....THAT is inarguable.

Now, my boat, like yours, is a bit over 1,100 pounds empty. I added N of 300#'s to mine via a substantial deck extension, Ultrex, 2 additional series 31 batteries, etc. So now she weighs +/- 1400 pounds before tackle, etc. Perhaps that's why my boat responded to the jackplate and yours didn't??

Also, there's VERY lil difference between our hulls as the V18 was SUPPOSEDLY developed directly from the PH (via Clunn, Morris). However, perhaps there IS a slight difference and that's the reason??

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue as I respect your opinion. I learned a quite a bit from your past posts about your experiences with the V18 when I was doing my research. They were certainly a part of why I searched for this hull and a good one to renovate. Through my searching I found out about the Fisher being, more or less, interchangeable and that's why I added that hull to my search.

So please don't take my opinion as some kind of diss of yours.....it's not. It's obvious my experience with my hull and a hydraulic jackplate has been very different than yours. Fair enough.....no harm, no foul.
    You know interestingly enough, over my time of research and even helping other folks set their boats up as a whole I have found that every hull is manufactured differently and no two hulls will ever be the same due to machine (or human) assembly tolerance variances, and even production crew variances. He may have gotten a factory dud that just does not respond well to the plate like yours has, not saying that he has, but that possibility is there.

That reminds me of a guy I was helping set up his 175 TXW Tracker. After he got a stainless three blade with his 60 HP I told him to raise his motor up a hole and he'll get better performance. Wouldn't you know it his motor hated being raised up that second hole despite it being a common performance mod on many of those hulls. There was an X factor, however, that I didn't realize he had at the time that neither of us accounted for. His hull was dented up in the bottom, created uneven air pockets on the keel and deadrise area, which his motor did not like. Anyway, long story short he had to settle and drop his motor back down to the first hole and he got a hydrofoil. No jackplate yet, as far as I know.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

10. Member
    No issues with your success. Your experiments worked mine didn't.
    LDS
    Class response.....expected nothing less. I was NOT BS'n when I said your posts regarding the V18 pushed me to try and find one. As you know, the commitment to completely tear these things down and renovate isn't a light duty proposition. I was committed to do it, but, the boat had to be the right one for me. As a result, I took the choice of hull very, very seriously. I'm grateful for your words as they led me to the perfect choice for my mission.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    You know interestingly enough, over my time of research and even helping other folks set their boats up as a whole I have found that every hull is manufactured differently and no two hulls will ever be the same due to machine (or human) assembly tolerance variances, and even production crew variances. He may have gotten a factory dud that just does not respond well to the plate like yours has, not saying that he has, but that possibility is there.

That reminds me of a guy I was helping set up his 175 TXW Tracker. After he got a stainless three blade with his 60 HP I told him to raise his motor up a hole and he'll get better performance. Wouldn't you know it his motor hated being raised up that second hole despite it being a common performance mod on many of those hulls. There was an X factor, however, that I didn't realize he had at the time that neither of us accounted for. His hull was dented up in the bottom, created uneven air pockets on the keel and deadrise area, which his motor did not like. Anyway, long story short he had to settle and drop his motor back down to the first hole and he got a hydrofoil. No jackplate yet, as far as I know.
    100% DEAD on Extreme.....100%. Mine is a long way from a stock hull now as it's so much heavier. It can't really be compared to one. So it's really apples and oranges. It's really too bad that hydraulic plates are so expensive. It'd sure be nice to be and to simply try one out and see if it fits.

100% DEAD on Extreme.....100%. Mine is a long way from a stock hull now as it's so much heavier. It can't really be compared to one. So it's really apples and oranges. It's really too bad that hydraulic plates are so expensive. It'd sure be nice to be and to simply try one out and see if it fits.
    Killer boat by the way from what I can see in your signature! Tracker sure does leave a lot to desire so I can totally understand why you modified the crap out of yours. Same case with me.

OP, based on your boat size, I really think a 6" is more than plenty for yours. I wouldn't go any further in setback.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

13. Member
    Thank you Roberto...👍 It's been a fun, rewarding project and I've sure learned a lot. She's certainly no 80k glass boat, but, she's certainly a lot better than where I started.

0820211856g~4.jpg
    0619211959c~2.jpg

14. Member

Your main problem is your motor is way to small for your boat, that boat should have a 150hp on it. You have to have an adequately sized motor to see much benefit from a jack plate.

15. Member
    A 125 vs a 150, I dont consider WAY TO SMALL. I went that route because
    I didn't want the additional weight of the 150 on the transom causing a bow
    high attitude while fishing. I have owned 2 BULLETS and I understand Jack plates and
    setups for speed. The TV 18 doesn't fall into the speed category, regardless of H.P.
    It's purely a fishing boat. If any ideas on this thread work for you, go for it, I've already
    been there, w/no real gains for the time and money invested. LDS
    Last edited by Great Scott; 12-31-2021 at 01:00 PM.

UHD 93SV at the console.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Your main problem is your motor is way to small for your boat, that boat should have a 150hp on it. You have to have an adequately sized motor to see much benefit from a jack plate.
    My particular boat is only rated for the 90HP that is on it. I don't understand why, when the 17 foot the following year was rated for a 150? The plate that is on it now improved the overall performance for the way everything is set now, I just wanted to replace with hydraulic so if someone goes with me, or happen to want to put a cooler in it for a day, I can reset the plate with a switch and adjust for the load at the present time. Absolutely am doing none of this for speed, only performance...

I appreciate the feedback, I have enough to make my decision...
    Last edited by Crappie Bob; 01-02-2022 at 03:52 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    My particular boat is only rated for the 90HP that is on it. I don't understand why, when the 17 foot the following year was rated for a 150? The plate that is on it now improved the overall performance for the way everything is set now, I just wanted to replace with hydraulic so if someone goes with me, or happen to want to put a cooler in it for a day, I can reset the plate with a switch and adjust for the load at the present time. Absolutely dam doing none of this for speed, only performance...

I appreciate the feedback, I have enough to make my decision...
    The Tournament 18 hull he has is completely different than a 185 hull. A 185 with a 90 would benefit more from a jack plate as you have found out. A 4" Atlas micro jacker would be a good choice for your application if you want to switch from a manual jack plate.