Quick question about waypoint Management

I have an Echomap 93sv UHD and plan to download the waypoints to an sd card so I can edit them in ExpertGPS. I will then delete all the waypoints on the unit.
    once I import the edited waypoints back to the unit, what happens when I connect Active Captain? Will it write the edited waypoints over the old ones that are still there?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

When you delete the waypoints on the unit do the same on active capt

once you reload the waypoints onto the unit connect it to active capt and it will populate the waypoints to AC

otherwise I think you will end up with duplicates
    "The handicapped angler"

Got it - Thanks

4. Member
    Here is what I did recently, and so far it appears to have worked.
    1. On the unit I saved the User Data as a gpx file to the AC card. I named the file with the date so I would be sure to use the right one.
    2. Then I used this card with Homeport and cleaned up/deleted the unwanted waypoints. Homeport put these changes back into the same file on the sd card.
    3. I put this card back into the MFD and turned them all on. I have 3 on the network.
    4. Connect my phone with AC into the Garmin network
    5. On the MFD went into User Data and chose Replace from card. I selected the above file.

As far as I can tell all three units and AC on my phone have the same waypoints the way I editted them.

Correction: See Post #6 below.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-14-2022 at 10:13 AM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Here is what I did recently, and so far it appears to have worked.
    1. On the unit I saved the User Data as a gpx file to the AC card. I named the file with the date so I would be sure to use the right one.
    2. Then I used this card with Homeport and cleaned up/deleted the unwanted waypoints. Homeport put these changes back into the same file on the sd card.
    3. I put this card back into the MFD and turned them all on. I have 3 on the network.
    4. Connect my phone with AC into the Garmin network
    5. On the MFD went into User Data and chose Replace from card. I selected the above file.

As far as I can tell all three units and AC on my phone have the same waypoints the way I editted them.
    Excellent!
    I didn’t realize replace from card would work a crossed the entire network
    I got to remember that
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    Update. The process I posted above in #4, didn't work. I still ended up with duplicated waypoints. So here is my latest method.
    1. From my phone I exported the user data to a file on my Google Share drive. gpx file.
    2. On my PC, Used anyconv.com online to convert the gpx file to an Excel file.
    3. Editted the waypoints in Excel and saved it.
    4. Used anyconv.com to convert the Excel file back to gpx.
    5. Used Homeport to add the icons I wanted for the waypoints.
    Note: First, I also deleted all the saved data in Homeport.
    6. Deleted User Data on all units and on the phone in AC.
    7. Imported the last file into AC on the phone
    8. Turned units on and connected AC.
    Everything synced and right now I only have non-duplicated waypoints with the icons I wanted.
    I think the problem is that even when AC is connected with the units, deleting at the Unit doesn't always sync that delete to the phone and later AC on the phone adds back the waypoints deleted at the unit but still on the phone.

There has to be a better way. A third party solution like GPSBabel might work better.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-14-2022 at 10:18 AM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Update. The process I posted above in #4, didn't work. I still ended up with duplicated waypoints. So here is my latest method.
    1. From my phone I exported the user data to a file on my Google Share drive. gpx file.
    2. On my PC, Used anyconv.com online to convert the gpx file to an Excel file.
    3. Editted the waypoints in Excel and saved it.
    4. Used anyconv.com to convert the Excel file back to gpx.
    5. Used Homeport to add the icons I wanted for the waypoints.
    Note: First, I also deleted all the saved data in Homeport.
    6. Deleted User Data on all units and on the phone in AC.
    7. Imported the last file into AC on the phone
    8. Turned units on and connected AC.
    Everything synced and right now I only have non-duplicated waypoints with the icons I wanted.
    I think the problem is that even when AC is connected with the units, deleting at the Unit doesn't always sync that delete to the phone and later AC on the phone adds back the waypoints deleted at the unit but still on the phone.

There has to be a better way. A third party solution like GPSBabel might work better.
    Yeah, it did not work for me either. I am using ExpertGPS to edit the symbols, but that is not working either.
    I downloaded ReefMaster but have not worked with it yet.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Yeah, it did not work for me either. I am using ExpertGPS to edit the symbols, but that is not working either.
    I downloaded ReefMaster but have not worked with it yet.
    If you are using different symbols, I would try to find a copy of Garmin's Homeport. ExpertGPS is supposed to be compatible with Garmin symbols but it is not 100% compatible. It is more geared for Lowrance units. ReefMaster is written for Lowrance units. Both ExpertGPS and ReefMaster can open and edit gpx files BUT many of the symbols are not compatible with Garmin units. The symbols in Garmin's Homeport will be compatible. Let me know if you need a copy of Garmin's Homeport. I don't believe it is available on their site anymore.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    If you are using different symbols, I would try to find a copy of Garmin's Homeport. ExpertGPS is supposed to be compatible with Garmin symbols but it is not 100% compatible. It is more geared for Lowrance units. ReefMaster is written for Lowrance units. Both ExpertGPS and ReefMaster can open and edit gpx files BUT many of the symbols are not compatible with Garmin units. The symbols in Garmin's Homeport will be compatible. Let me know if you need a copy of Garmin's Homeport. I don't believe it is available on their site anymore.
    Thanks Mike, I do need a copy of Homeport. I was trying to change the little square symbols to round ones and it did not work.
    Once I get them replaced, I want to move them to the Lowrance HDS9 Gen3 on my console, so I need to work with them in .gpx format.
    I think you have my email address, if not let me know and I will send it in a PM.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=7263

Here you go....you can still download Home Port from Garmin website.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    Bill,
    I will be able to help you out. I just sent a text to you.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Update: with your help and advice, I accomplished my objective.
    Garmin
    I exported the Garmin waypoints to the user data folder on the Active Captain card. (.adm format)
    I imported the waypoints to Home Port, edited the waypoint icons and saved back to the card. I changed all the little gray squares to blue dots. (Saved back as .gpx format)
    Imported back to the 93sv and everything worked, no duplicates and the edits held.
    Lowrance
    i downloaded waypoints from my Lowrance HDS9 Gen3 to an sd card (.gpx format)
    I imported the waypoints to Expert GPS and used the delete by region option to delete all the waypoints from my home lake.
    I uploaded the edited waypoints back to the HDS.
    I imported the Garmin waypoints (.gpx ) to the HDS.
    I now have replaced the old home lake waypoints with the new ones from my Garmin, which was my objective.
    New Question:
    I did all this work with sd cards on my laptop but I have the old Garmin waypoints on Active Captain on my iPad. What happens when I link up my iPad to the 93sv? Will the new waypoints on the unit be uploaded to the iPad or will the iPad download?
    I don’t understand how the Active Captain sd card in the unit communicates with the Active Captain app.

13. Member
    Unless you first delete all the waypoints on the ipad before you link with AC, IMO they will populate both from the MFD to the ipad and from the ipad to the MFD giving you duplicates.

Yeah, I can see that happening, I think I will try it to see.
    I have the files to recover if it screws up.

Update:
    It did indeed transfer all the waypoints from the MFD to the iPad and the ones one the iPad to the MFD so I ended up with duplicates on everything. I dropped the WIFI connection from the MFD to the iPad and deleted all the waypoints on the iPad. When I re-established the WIFI link, the waypoints on the MFD transferred to the iPad so they were both in sync.
    So I don't think this feature works as intended.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 01-27-2022 at 04:42 PM.

15. Member
    It may work as intended or may not. I experimented today in the garage. I had a backup of my cleaned up waypoints. So I turn on the network (3 units) and connected my phone via ActiveCaptain. Deleted all User Data. Everything showed no waypoints. Then I turned on the Force and updated it to latest software. When I paired it back to MFD, all the waypoints were back on the MFD and AC. They must have come back from the Force. Now I'm wondering if the source of my previous issue of getting duplicates didn't come from doing this in the garage and not having the Force on at the time.

It is performing like a file transfer protocol, like Home Port but instead of loading the files back to an sd card, it loads directly to the MFD. However, when loading waypoints from an sd card you get the option to either “Replace” or “Merge” with the old waypoints. you don’t have this option with Active Captain because it is intended to check the database and only transfer waypoints that are new or have been modified. That’s the part that is not working.

Todd Driscoll set up a contact with one of the Garmin software Engineers and I have provided him with some debug files from my MFD. They are aware that Active Captain is not working as intended and are working on it. There is a glitch there somewhere but I am sure these guys will fix it.

I plan to update my unit this morning using Active Captain but I will delete all the waypoints off Active Captain so I don’t end up with duplicates on the MFD. I expect that after the update, the waypoints on my MFD will also be on Active Captain.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=7263

Here you go....you can still download Home Port from Garmin website.
    This link doesn't work now.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL, 200 Mercury Optimax, 25p Tempest+

18. Member
    Unfortunately, activecaptain is the replacement
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS