Thread: Vexus issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vexus issues

New to the Vexus game and considering a 1980 or 2080. What are the pros/cons that ppl are seeing? Any issues with welds?

2. Member
    I have had 0 issues with my 2020 1880. I had some mix ups with a few things upon ordering. I got 2 highback seats instead of 1 butt seat, and it came with the wrong transducser. Which was a mistake by me and the dealer (we thought it came with a 3-1 standard). I've had no quality or manufacturing issues. This boat rides and fishes bigger than you would think.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

3. Member
    Biggest con of mine is that it backs up for crap. It just wants to spin the boat counter clockwise. Got caught in the wind at the ramp and ended up swinging the hull into the rocks. Now I need a big paint repair. Other than that it has been ok.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

4. Member
    No quality or build issues on my 2020 2080 model so far.
    Last edited by KP1923; 12-28-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

5. Member
    No issues on my 1880 so far. I have had mine for over 2 years and have been on the big lakes like the Kissimmee Chain and Lake Okeechobee.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    Biggest con of mine is that it backs up for crap. It just wants to spin the boat counter clockwise. Got caught in the wind at the ramp and ended up swinging the hull into the rocks. Now I need a big paint repair. Other than that it has been ok.
    I just put a 4 blade prop on mine and it solved that problem. I now have much more control.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

Mine has been great. My 1880 backs up great with the motor trimmed up. PITA if I don’t. Love my 1880 and fishes like at 20 ft boat.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    I will have to agree with the comments above. Going reverse can be a pita sometimes.

9. Member
    I have found that trimming the motor up in reverse makes it much easier to back up.
    2021 VX 20
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    I'm pretty sure this isn't a Vexus issue as it is an Aluminum boat issue. My Xpress was the same way once the bow went one way it was going that way no matter what.
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

11. Member
    My old aluminum tracker with strakes on the bottom didn't have that problem.
    I also think with the 4 stroke engines there is more mass rotating and it is having a twisting gyrus thing going on. The reason I think this is because it will sit and spin in neutral once you get it rotating.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

12. Member
    Trim your motor high and blip the throttle when trying to reverse. It does much better.
    Last edited by Wampolec; 01-05-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    2020 White Vexus AVX 1880 Evinrude G2
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI
    Helix 9 G3N MDI w/ MEGA 360

13. Member
    What do you mean ‘burp’?

14. Member
    Meant blip. I hit it then let off to let it develop the turn/ maneuver. But trimming pretty high really does help.
    2020 White Vexus AVX 1880 Evinrude G2
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI
    Helix 9 G3N MDI w/ MEGA 360

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wampolec View Post
    Meant blip. I hit it then let off to let it develop the turn/ maneuver. But trimming pretty high really does help.
    The higher you trim it the more it takes the centrifugal force off the horizontal plane thus decreasing the counter-clockwise spinning transferred to the hull. I tried this.
    Here is the exact scenario that happened to me and why I now need a hull repair:
    There was a cross wind about 30mph on the ramp. Motored up to the trailer with the motor down so the steering was better going forward. The bow got blown off line and I needed to back up in a hurry. I hit reverse, had thumb on the trim up button and juiced it hard. The bow spun and the boat was getting blown right to left. I counter steered with no reaction. Tried to continue to back up and ease away from the riprap. I was then about six feet off the rocks parallel. The boat spun on its axis and the front third of the bow went into the rocks. I had to back away after contact as it was still spinning the boat.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

16. Member
    The higher you trim it the more it takes the centrifugal force off the horizontal plane thus decreasing the counter-clockwise spinning transferred to the hull. I tried this.
    Here is the exact scenario that happened to me and why I now need a hull repair:
    There was a cross wind about 30mph on the ramp. Motored up to the trailer with the motor down so the steering was better going forward. The bow got blown off line and I needed to back up in a hurry. I hit reverse, had thumb on the trim up button and juiced it hard. The bow spun and the boat was getting blown right to left. I counter steered with no reaction. Tried to continue to back up and ease away from the riprap. I was then about six feet off the rocks parallel. The boat spun on its axis and the front third of the bow went into the rocks. I had to back away after contact as it was still spinning the boat.
    That is not a Vexus issue or con. It relates to a 30 mph crosswind! It could be tough in any kind of bass boat. Need to find another ramp that is protected or go another day.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wampolec View Post
    Copy, makes sense.

18. Member
    whale tail will help the back up issues likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    I have a 2019 AVX 1980 w/ Evinrude 150 I bought used. I've had it about a year and a half. I love it. Very happy with the purchase. I also experience some of the same backing up but it's not unmanageable. I'll have to try trimming up to see the difference. I'm also open to a 4 blade prop if that'll help.

20. Member
    The backing up is definitely not wind related. It's just what the boat does. Buddy has a 21 2080 and his doesn't reverse for crap. Reverses just like my 206 Champion does so I'm used to it but no it's not just a wind deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast