Jerkbait spool size recommendation

I’ve always used a BB1 wide spool and like it, would it be better to use a smaller sized baitcasterr for this application? I’ve looked everywhere and just wanted some feedback. Thanks

2. Member
    I don’t see why it would make much of a difference. A lighter spool may increase casting distance some, but if you’re ok with what you’re using now, I don’t see a point in changing.

3. Member
    I prefer lighter reels in general, so I use the smallest reel I can get away with. Most of my casts will never empty the spool anyways, so it doesn't matter to me.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

4. Member
    I've switched last season to a spinning setup for my jerk baits. 3000 size spool. Distance is quite the difference and keeping the bait at depth longer is a plus.

I started throwing jerkbaits on a BFS style reel last year, in my case a Daiwa SS Air. I was always able to cast the 110-sized baits without issue with whatever reel I wanted to use, but I found this change allowed me to get more distance as well as to use a casting reel for even the small jerkbaits like Pointer 78s that I used to have to throw on spinning tackle.

I'm not sure what the spool size is, but it's definitely a shallow, lightweight spool on a reel that's purpose-built for lighter lines and more finesse techniques. It holds something like 55 yards of 8 lb test (JDM diameters). In my setup, I spool up thin braid (tied around the "honeycomb" in the spool) then tack on a 12 lb Sniper leader. This allows me to get more line on the reel, plus braid to leader is just fantastic for jerkbaits and the way I fish. I think it's currently got 24 lb Ardent Gliss as the main line which is around 0.18 mm diameter or basically the diameter of 4 lb Sniper.

The shorter version of all of the above is that normal reels work just fine, but I've been really impressed in the results in going to a more finesse reel.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I started throwing jerkbaits on a BFS style reel last year, in my case a Daiwa SS Air. I was always able to cast the 110-sized baits without issue with whatever reel I wanted to use, but I found this change allowed me to get more distance as well as to use a casting reel for even the small jerkbaits like Pointer 78s that I used to have to throw on spinning tackle.

I'm not sure what the spool size is, but it's definitely a shallow, lightweight spool on a reel that's purpose-built for lighter lines and more finesse techniques. It holds something like 55 yards of 8 lb test (JDM diameters). In my setup, I spool up thin braid (tied around the "honeycomb" in the spool) then tack on a 12 lb Sniper leader. This allows me to get more line on the reel, plus braid to leader is just fantastic for jerkbaits and the way I fish. I think it's currently got 24 lb Ardent Gliss as the main line which is around 0.18 mm diameter or basically the diameter of 4 lb Sniper.

The shorter version of all of the above is that normal reels work just fine, but I've been really impressed in the results in going to a more finesse reel.
    Currently experimenting with 16.5lb G-Soul "sinking" braid for spinning gear and tube fishing with a leader. So far I like the setup and have thought about trying it for jerkbait fishing as well. Hadn't heard much about braid for jerkbait fishing.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD